Discussion in 'Space & Aeronautics' started by bowsoxx, Aug 28, 2006.

1. bowsoxx

bowsoxx New Member

Has anyone ever seen a Voskhod modification of the R7? I have a real interest in the Soviet space program and I'd love to have this one. I guess more specifically I'm looking for Voskhod 2 which would have the airlock added to it, otherwise I'm not sure that it would look all that different from the Vostok. Thanks!
  2. Hans Christian

Hans Christian Active Member

count me in! I also wish for the actual capsules (Vostok & Voshkhod) as well...
  3. McPeek

McPeek Member

The only kits I have ever run across are resin.

Nothing in paper/card.

Edit: I was just doing some more looking around and ran across this picture of a Vostok 1 paper model that was included in a Czech magazine called ABC.

Looks like a neat model.

4. bowsoxx

bowsoxx New Member

If you had a Vostok model you could do a Voskhod. All Voskhod was was a slightly enlarged Vostok... and for Voskhod 2 all they did was a hack an airlock onto it. The whole setup was a bit on the crude side, but it worked, although the design almost killed Leonov on his EVA as he couldn't get back inside.

I would love to get my hands on that Vostok!
  5. Hans Christian

shoot!!! I want one too... :sad:
  6. bowsoxx

bowsoxx New Member

I really think someone could make Voskhod 2 from an existing Vostok model. The R7 booster needs to be extended slightly as well as the slight mod to the capsule. Heck, the Russians created Voskhod 2 by modding the actual Vostok so I'm sure we could do it in paper!
  7. Hans Christian

anybody care to design the Vostok & voshkhod? :-D

GEEDUBBYA Active Member

9. bowsoxx

bowsoxx New Member

Thanks! I'm thinking that one really could create Voskhod 2 out of that model. If I had more time right now I'd make an attempt, but, that will have to wait until fall/winter.

The R7 really was a nice looking rocket... and it's success is a nice testament to Sergei Korolev who never really got the credit he deserved in his lifetime.

GEEDUBBYA Active Member

Howdy Bowsoxx,

You are quite welcome, if there are any other models you need a link to, all you have to do is ask and I will see what I have in my "list o' links" lol.
    There are one or two more models of the Vostok out there that I know of, but none look as good as those in my opinion.
    Now if you would like some American space launch vehicles, you can look here:
    http://web.archive.org/web/*/www76.pair.com/tjohnson/ppsm.html . All you have to do is click on a date, then browse and find a rocket you like. Speaking of which, I just found another R7 vostok on that site in the aug. 2000 menu, here is the link, sorry, but no photo: http://web.archive.org/web/20000831095139/www76.pair.com/tjohnson/r7inst.html

There are literally tons of rocket models on the above link.

Hope this helps, have a good day,

Greg aka GW
  11. Hans Christian

Well, I hope also that somebody would design the actual space capsules...
  12. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

I have looked but have not found the Vostok model on line...the capsule, that is.
    Can anyone provide a good link?
    The PPSM version of R7 provides all but the first and last pdf file...bummer!

I see Leo has a Vostok model on his page, but as far as I can tell it has not been made available yet...but from the little picture it's an excellent design! Here is a thread where he provides a larger picture of the capsule combined with the thruster (I think that's what the lower section is called):http://www.cardmodels.net/forum/showthread.php?t=4148
    I'd love to find out how he made that spherical capsule, really nice work!

Guess I'll just have to be a bit more patient...not a strong personality trait of mine.:oops:

13. Greelt

Greelt New Member

Looks some kind of ball to me, I'm sure it's not paper.

14. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

I'll let Leo address this if he sees this post, but I'm pretty sure it's paper. Looks like it's made up of peels, perhaps in quarters that join at a hidden joint behind the vertical strips you see in yellow with the black stripe.

15. Vostok & Voshkhod ? Very soon...
  16. Hans Christian

OH YEAH!!! Thanks a lot sir!!! First, Buran, now Vostok & Voshkhod!!! Oh my!!!
  17. Regie

Regie Member

I now have a huge grin on my face and an even longer "to do" list! Really looking forward to these! Thanks so much!
  18. PapaBear

PapaBear Member

Sorry to sidetrack a little but speaking of PPSM; there's a couple of files I'm looking for if anyone can finger a link that works;-

I need the first file which is the Sat 1B First Stage/Interstage Prototype.

of which I need the last file - Page 6

Would be good if anyone can help.

19. jparenti

jparenti Member

I have the Saturn 1-B model files in my own collection, and I can send them along if you need them. I am also missing page 6 of the Atlas, though.
  20. TexasTubaMan

TexasTubaMan Member

Page 6 is only a display stand. It looks similar to page 6 of the Mercury Atlas from the same site, but doesn't have the escape tower, and is yellow. I could send it if you need it, but there is nothing in it that is needed to complete the Atlas Agena.