Von Braun 1956 Mars Mission

Rogerio Silva

Living and learning

Rogerio, what you say makes sense to me, engineer or not. I hadn't considerd the weight of the lander. I imagine the speed would be fairly high after reentry, though. Not sure how it would glide once they slowed down.

Here's the ARES plane I was talking about before. This page also includes the glider download; http://marsairplane.larc.nasa.gov/platform.html

Btw, hopefully I'll have a photo update of the Passenger Ship later today. Reality keeps intruding.

Scott K.
Scott

I've seen it, and it's a beutiful design! You'll see that they have compensanted the small length of the wings by making them really large...:rolleyes: And there's not much weight to it, since all the materials are really light, plus the plane is self-powered. It's a glider, but it has some form of propulsion, if my bad English serves me right.
Well, this discussion has been great: I have learned something.:mrgreen: Thanks!:thumb::thumb:

Bhelliom

Another small update. Sorry, still poorly lit. I was planning to take it outside, but its raining now. I also noticed after I already put the pix in my computer, that the lense had a big fingerprint on it (probably courtesy of the neighbor boy my son babysits). I'll clean it properly before I take any more pictures.

Main engines added, steering engines next.

Scott K.

Attachments

• Dscn0328.jpg
    Dscn0328.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 14
  • Dscn0329.jpg
    Dscn0329.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 19

Bhelliom

Last night's progress, steering engines added. Tank supports next.

Scott K.

Attachments

• Dscn0331.jpg
    Dscn0331.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 15
  • Dscn0332.jpg
    Dscn0332.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 14
  • Dscn0333.jpg
    Dscn0333.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 13

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
That section is incredible. If you said it worked, I'd believe you! This is really come to life. You design and build skills make in jealous, in a good way. :)

Bhelliom

Thanks guys. I'll try to put up some more pictures today, if I can. I'm facing a possible utility shutoff, literally any minute. I'm hoping they'll hold, since I told them we were expecting a payment to come to us any time this week.

Meanwhile, I built the tank supports last night. Now it's starting to "take off" in my eyes. It looks a lot better to me than the smaller one. It looks like today will be dry, and less windy for a change. I'll try to take the pictures outside, for better light.

Scott K.

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
You are doing a FANTASTIC JOB on this model.
All of the lines look so clean and crisp.
It looks like a flawless build so far!!!

KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK!!!

Bhelliom

Rhaven, are you sure we're both looking at the same model? :rolleyes:

Here's the latest pictures. Slightly better for having been taken outside, once the wind finally died down. The tank support frames have been added. Time to start the tanks themselves.

Scott K.

Attachments

• Dscn0340.jpg
    Dscn0340.jpg
    178.3 KB · Views: 14
  • Dscn0341.jpg
    Dscn0341.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 14
  • Dscn0342.jpg
    Dscn0342.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 14
  • Dscn0344.jpg
    Dscn0344.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 21

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
I wonder if Von Braun ever took the model this far!! :)

Bhelliom

First tanks added. The first half of one of the main tanks is in the background. Sorry, not a very good angle on any of these.

Scott K.

Attachments

• Dscn0346.jpg
    Dscn0346.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 18
  • Dscn0347.jpg
    Dscn0347.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 17
  • Dscn0348.jpg
    Dscn0348.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 14

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
A really wonderful looking model. This is a special one Bhelliom! :)

Bhelliom

Sorry for the lack of updates, too much real life got in the way. The main tanks have been added, and a stand made for the model. Dents, dings and warps courtesy of my cat (knocked the model down three times). Too much rain and wind to take pictures outside lately, so I snapped a few quick ones on my keyboard. Better shots tomorrow, if the weather cooperates.

Scott K.

Attachments

• Dscn0463.jpg
    Dscn0463.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 16
  • Dscn0464.jpg
    Dscn0464.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 14
  • Dscn0465.jpg
    Dscn0465.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 12

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Wow, I just happened to look in and see this work of art coming together, great job! :)

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
I am quite impressed with how this project is coming along.
KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK!!!