vocabulary question

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by lizzienewell, Jun 23, 2007.

  1. lizzienewell

    lizzienewell Member

    Is there a word for the wing of the aircraft or the side of a boat that is on the inside of a turn? If the craft were turning to starboard this would be the starboard wing/side, but I want to write about it without reference to starboard and port.
    I'm working on a fictional story that shows one of my models in action.

    Thanks for any ideas.

  2. steamhead

    steamhead Active Member

    I would suspect "inboard" and "outboard"...but then I'm not an aviation expert...!
  3. cgutzmer

    cgutzmer Guest

    you could use leeward and windward - that indicates the direction the wind is hitting the ship....

    Just a thought thought - I will put some more thought into it too :)
  4. cgutzmer

    cgutzmer Guest

    I cant speak for planes but in ship terms that would refer to being inside or outside the hull :)
  5. lizzienewell

    lizzienewell Member

    I'd normally refer to it as inside and outside, but that could be confused with distal and proximal(toward the wingtip and toward the fusilage) or with interior and exterior.

    If this were a taking sailboat, it would be the lee side. Lee might still work since the air movement against the craft would be on the outside of the turn.
  6. Amazyah

    Amazyah Senior Member

    I have no expertise in the matter but I think Leeward and Windward have a certain ring to it.

  7. paperbeam

    paperbeam Member

  8. B-Manic

    B-Manic Peripheral Visionary

    Are you referring to yaw?

    Yaw -- The angle between the fuselage of the airplane and the relative wind as seen from above the airplane. Yaw is the term pilots use to describe the turning left or right of the plane. Yaw is the sideways movement of the plane. Normally an airplane is flown without yaw.


    Sailing terminology

    Leeward -The side of the boat that the boom is on. Also, away from the wind or down-wind

    Windward -The side of the boat opposite the side the boom is on; also, toward the wind or upwind (a "windward" boat is toward the wind from the "leeward" boat)

    Bear off -To alter the boat's course away from the wind

    Head-to-wind -The point at which the boat is aimed straight into the wind with the sails luffing; when you pass through head-to-wind, you are tacking

    In "irons" -Stuck head-to-wind with sails luffing and no steerage

    Run -The point of sail at which the wind is directly behind the boat
  9. wunwinglow

    wunwinglow Active Member

    I'd say the wing on the inside of the turn was 'wunwinglow'.....


    PS Remember when flying, a wing can be low (roll) and you can still be flying straight forward; You can be yawwed to one side and still be flying straight forward. You can be pitched up slightly to maintain straight and level flight, depending on your airspeed. When an aircraft is moving through the air , what it does and how it moves are the product of many, many forces, only some of which are in the control of the pilot. But if it is in a steady state, all the various forces will be balanced. When straight and level, all the drag and thrust vectors will cancel out, all the weight and lift ones will also balance. In a steady turn, the aircraft is usually rolled over towards the turn so that the lift vector is angled inwards, therefore providing not only enough lift to support the weight of the aircraft, but to provide a force to accelerate the craft inwards towards the centre of the turn. Hower, to provide this extra lift, at the same speed, the wing has to pitched up slightly, which also increases the drag. So power has to be added otherwise the airspeed will drop.

    Aircraft are usually designed with some self-correcting stability, and will naturally try to level themselves, so usually some control effort is needed to keep it turning; this means a bit more drag, so a bit more power. It is the same in the vertical plane, if you reduce power, the drag will slow it down, but since the weight stays the same, there won't be enough lift and the craft will start to loose altitude.

    I can recommend getting a flight simulator program if you want to get a feel for how this all fits together. A quick search on eBay will turn up loads, which will not cost the earth but work well enough to illustrate this.

  10. lizzienewell

    lizzienewell Member

    Maybe I better give more of what I'm trying to show with words. It's a ekranoplan/WIG type aircraft with warp wings turning so it flies toward the narrator. In my fictional world, this craft would normally be directly connected to the pilot's brain. The movement of the craft would be fluid, organic, and birdlike. But this pilot doesn't have the implant and doesn't have much experience flying. This craft is making stiff looking wide turns(wide in comparison to how this craft would normally fly.) I'm trying to show that the movement looks stiff. So I thought maybe the wingtip or sponson on the inside of the turn might splash against the water. The problem is how to show what this looks like without confusing the reader with too words like "anhedral." I think I put that word in two times and then took it out. two times.
    The narrator is not a pilot but she has plenty of experience with boats, which is why boat terminology is better than aircraft terminology.
  11. SCEtoAux

    SCEtoAux Member

    I think steamhead has it right. As I recall the side of a ship that is on the inside of a turn is called the inboard side because if you completed the circle it would be inside the circle or inboard. :)
  12. cgutzmer

    cgutzmer Guest

    No, its not right unless its a slang term.
    define:INBOARD - Google Search

    This will help
    Nautical Know How - Glossary of Nautical Terms

    Personally I dont think there is a hard term for the inside of the ship and outside of the ship in a turn. When I was in the military I was a master helmsman (qualified to take the helm into and out of port) and it was never referred to as anything besides port and starboard. Anything else could lead to ambiguity in a critical situation.

  13. wunwinglow

    wunwinglow Active Member

    Maybe readers will be familiar enough with how an aircraft flies that they will understand the dipped wing will be the one towards which the craft is turning, and it doesn't need a specific term.

    Connected directly to the brain? Hey, thats how it feels on my Yamaha! Just think, and whoosh, you are there!! I've often thought that motorcycles were the closest we have yet come to man-machine symbiosis......


  14. B-Manic

    B-Manic Peripheral Visionary


    Inside the hull or bulwarks of, or toward the center of, a ship or boat. More toward the center of a vessel.


    Outside a ship's bulwarks; in a lateral direction away from the hull. Toward or beyond the boat's sides.

    General Usage

    Generally 'inside the hull' or 'outside the hull' are acceptable terms when refering to the interior or exterior of a ship. This holds true for inboard or outboard. Inboard and outboard are mostly used to describe the location of equipment and fittings relative to the vessels centre-line and to each other. Major military ships have main and secondary citadels. The citadels are areas of the interior (inside the hull) that provide protection from NBCD threats. Military sailors may therefore often refer to being inside or outside the citadel.
  15. John Griffin

    John Griffin Member

  16. SCEtoAux

    SCEtoAux Member

    Just to clear things up my response was in regards to a ship making a turn. I have spent lots of time on ships and am entirely aware what inboard, outboard, fore, aft, bow, stern, port, starboard, larboard, top side, below decks, weather deck, DC deck, quaterdeck, etc. usually means in regards to relative positions on ship. I have found that some of the terms pick up extra meanings. I have definitely heard the side of a ship inside a turn being referred to as the inboard side, relative to the turn. So there.:p That's my story and I'm sticking to it. Nyah, nyah, nyah.fence1 stooges8 hamrtooth1
  17. cgutzmer

    cgutzmer Guest

    larboard? what the heck is that? gotta go look it up now :)
  18. lizzienewell

    lizzienewell Member

    Thank you so much. You've all been a great help with writing this passage. Here is how I have it written. I've made it clear that the craft is banking before saying what the wing is doing. I think my sentence structure is still a bit choppy, but it's getting better.
    The village has been attacked with missiles containing napalm. They leaders have agreed to a parlez at the dock.

    <Coiling the line, I scrambled to the prow of the dory and pushed her from shore. Tiller in hand, I made a heading toward the village dock. Black smoke and white steam billowed from the cottages.

    Fritillary skimmed into view in her piebald skip and banked a wide turn into the Inlet. The lower wing raked the watering sending bursts of spray each time the sponson hit a wave.

    The air sparkled with crystals. I reached the village dock first. Thick rime covered the buildings, and the decking was slick with ice. But soot stained the frost and gave the fog a yellow tinge. The acrid smoke set my eyes watering. My feet left white footprints in dark ash.>
  19. lizzienewell

    lizzienewell Member

    Old term for port, but it was abandoned because it sounds to much like starboard.

    As far as I can tell the term starboard referes to the side from which a person stears. If you are right handed it is easier to rudder with a paddle held on the right. This stearing paddle evolved into a sweap with a pin of some sort holding it to the gunwale and then into a tiller. From what I've seen, boats still tend to have the consol on the starboard side. Can't call it the right side because on an row boat(viking ship), the guy stearing is the only one facing the prow.

    I checked several dictionaries. (Lade) means cargo in Old English and in Norwegian. Larboard meant the side that cargo was loaded on. Loadside? Port must have come from basically the same meaning. I love checking dictionaries.:)
  20. cgutzmer

    cgutzmer Guest

    Maybe the PORT side is where they kept all the cooked wine ;)

Share This Page