Vista Issues?

Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by bclemens, Apr 20, 2008.

1. bclemens

bclemens Member

Anyone designing on a PC with Vista?
    I can't save an Inkscape file as a .pdf- Oh it creates the file alright- but the text is upside down and mirrored while the images are normal.

On my XP computer, under the same circumstances all works fine.

Apparently Adobe says it's a compatibility issue and are "working on it".
    Anyone else seen this problem? Any workarounds?

2. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

Personally I refuse to go to one of Uncle Bill's new (mostly buggy systems) until forced to do so ( kicking and screaming all the way). I stayed with Win95 which was on my first computer until I was forced to go to Win 98 as I needed USB support. 98 stayed with me until my system died and my next one came with XP (which had had enough time to become fairly stable), and I won't go to Vista until this system dies or can't run something I need.

(Rant mode off for a bit)
  3. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

Adobe reader works fine on my vista, I tried to install adobe acrobat pro on my pc and it won't install. So I have to use the laptop for acrobat. Don't really bother me though, as I use acrobat at work, so therefore I would struggle taking my desktop to work everyday.

Don't now if it helps, but I have vista ultimate 64bit on the desktop. Had a few problems with programs at first, but now the only one problem is acrobat.

Forgot to say, Laptop runs XP pro.
  4. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

MS will moving up their new OS faster than expected (2009). Consider Vista to be the Windows ME of the OS's.
  5. nebeltex

nebeltex Member

i does not support my 5 year old HP printer.....
  6. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

2009, You haven't herd about the delays then. Xp was late by more than a year and so was vista, microsoft set dates for then and missed them.

The only people that nock vista are the ones who don't have it or haven't tried it.
  7. lriera

lriera Member

In my opinion, Vista is the worst attempt from Microsoft to the OS arena. It is buggy, slow and demands a powerful computer. I will stay with XP and wait to see what have to offer Windows 9.
  8. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

XP, tested and stable... I wouldn't blink to revert an installation of Vista back to XP >_<
  9. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

They have it on the new PC's at work and it's a pain to have the standard windows menu setup that I am used to which is universal to various applications, be completely toss around so that you have to relearn how to just save a file to a folder.

Also... I knock Vista because it's answered a question no one has asked in terms of improvement.

It's a larger OS for no good reason where it was supposed to lose support for old technology to look forward to new technology. So getting rid of old useless and unused files for a fit and trim OS yet it's bigger?

DirectX10 is a farce... Compare the improvements of DX7 -> DX8, DX8 -> DX9c and DX9c -> DX10. What a joke. For example the game Crysis... Claimed unprecidented details on Vista with DX10 that WinXP with DX9c could not achieve yet someone busted that myth by going into the game's .ini file and altered a few lines of code (something that ANYONE can do) and got the same graphic quality. So essentially the game was dumbed down for non-Vista users to make them feel that they needed to upgrade.

Way too long for a service pack to fix the grocery list of issues.

The horrible API support that pretty much crushes all small software designers who cannot afford the license. Some designers are abandoning software all together. So if you have invested money in such products... better stay on XP or your screwed.

Major software companies got 'Left out of the loop' requiring a whole year just to build fixes for Vista capable software. What happened was that most just put the fixes in the next version. What that meant was you had to pay more money buying new software twice or compromise your network setup. Yes I am looking at YOU Autodesk.

In one year of sales. MS sold 100 Million units of Vista compared to XP's 89 Million in one year. A good thing? No. Not when your compare sales of new systems between then and now. Sales that more than twice what they were in 2001. 39% of new PCs sold had Vista on them... In 2001, XP was on 67%. In April of this year Dell decided to re-offer XP as an OS option for new systems. This is worse than WindowsME.

Microsoft has extended the life of WindowsXP to 2010 where usually they cut off all support of an older OS. This was lobbied by all the major PC manufacturers.

UGH! This 'Ribbon' technology is annoying. If anyone has used the new office they will know what I mean. Another case of reinventing the wheel. MS decided to mess with the menu buttons and icons. Whats worse is now major software manufacturers are trying their hand at it. Autocad2009 has the Ribbon bar and has done away with the dashboard I have just learned to use. It's a major pain in the arse when you have learned the changes of Acad2008 and incorporated it into your workflow only to lose that what you have learned because someone likes pretty menus.

Vista Desktop. Using resources to run a desktop is a waste. If we wanted a Mac we would have bought one. Guess MS should have spent more time making DX10 worth the while and having a more original desktop setup.

To me ... the winning OS will be the next release. This one ... is not worth it. Run WinXP 64bit with a QuadCPU with Raid Array, it's far better than Vista.
  10. bclemens

bclemens Member

Thanks, everyone...

I didn't intend this thread to morph into "everything that's wrong with Vista (and Microsoft)". Heaven knows there are LOTS of places on the net for that. I agree, it's stupid to reinvent an operating system to replace one that's doing fine, thank you. And you're right, Stev0, Office '07 is like redesigning a 2007 Chevy with the steering wheel on the opposite side of the '06 and the accelerator hidden in the glove box. It makes no sense, and it is simply stupid.

That having been said, I had hoped this thread would be more about how to overcome these things for those of us who are stuck with a Vista system. Apparently it's too early to get any help on these issues, so I'll just keep plugging along and back up all my work every step of the way, and keep the other XP computer at hand when I need to make a .pdf.

11. Gil

Gil Active Member

Magical Mystery System

XP SP3 Just released from uSoft Eng. Upgrades available for download next Tuesday from the uSoft site.

I don't even kvetch anymore, just repair or reinstall it. After the fourth or fifth time it's not all that bad..., just boring and time consuming. And another neat feature is no reinstall turns out the same way twice. That's what makes Windows a magical operating system. It's all that mystery and wonder they put into it for us, the user community. Makes you feel kind of special, doesn't it, knowing that they thought that much of us all to go that extra mile...,

Could this be the existence theorem for a Mac? I've come to realize that a Mac isn't that expensive when gaged against the time required to maintain a Windows solution. I wonder if I'll miss the recurring magic show?....,

12. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

Talked with our computer engineer today at work. And the reason why vista runs well, is that it needs a wopping computer to run it, with all the bells and whistles on.

As I have a quad core pc, 2 sli graphics cards, 4 gig ram, etc, I have no problems. He says don't even bother putting any version of vista on a pc that hasn't got at least a duel core cpu.

A printer thats 5 years old, thats a long life span. I usually wear my printers out about every 2 years. I've never had a printer that has lasted over 3 years.

Bclemens, have you tried to get hold of sp1 for vista. Some of the updates in sp1 don't upgrade through windows upgrade. Good luck.
  13. bclemens

bclemens Member

Thanks Paulhbell, I did just get sp1 and installed it last night. Hoping it'll help. I haven't tried a .pdf yet- I'll do it when I get home and see what happens...

I bought this new computer to help my design efforts. The files I am generating are blowing away my old machine. Of course when you buy a new computer from a big-box store it's going to have Vista. So there you go- Spend lots of money to trade one problem for another...wall1

14. George B

George B Senior Member

What about Microsoft THAT was the worst of the worst! I cringe just thing about it.

15. lriera

lriera Member

Yes, you are right, I had forgotten BOB. But Vista already has harmed much more people than the poor BOB, deceased before it could make any damage. :thumb: