Visiting the USA (GA and SC) in December!

caliban

May 3, 2006
Lower-Saxony, GERMANY
Hi,

My wife and I are going to visit Georgia and South Carolina in late December/early January:wave:. (Got a cheap flight from Germanysign1!)
Thought it would be a good idea to ask the folks on The-Gauge for travel tips, must see's and more important railfaning locations etc..:D
Any people from Atlanta or the GA/SC coast around?

railohio

Dec 29, 2000
By far the greatest railfan show in that region is CSX's former C&WC mainline south out of Spartanburg. There was an article on it in Trains magazine in the late 1990s that would serve as a good starting point for further research. Hope you have fun on your visit!

baldwinjl

Apr 30, 2005
I can't really help, but I'd like to welcome you. I lived in Niedersachsen (Goettingen) for about a year and a half about 5 years ago! Better train stores in Geottingen than here!

Jeff

caliban

May 3, 2006
Lower-Saxony, GERMANY
Hi Jeff,

there are quite some americans around here, most of them because of the University of Goettingen. Most are from CA. What did you then?
I'm living close to Goettingen and attend to the University to get a masters degree in political science and law, not that easy at an age above 30 and aftermore than a decade in the army. May be the train stores are better than in your town, but no american trains.

baldwinjl

Apr 30, 2005
I worked at Lambda Physik, the laser company. We enjoyed living in Goetttingen. If we had stayed much longer we probably would have had a European railroad, you're right there wasn't American stuff. We do have one N scale Fleicshmann starter set, but before we got any farther along we left.

My youngest son (he was one at the time) liked to go to the train station and watch the ICE (which he said something like EEEECEEEE) trains go through.

Enjoy your visit to the US!

Jeff

slagpot

Jul 11, 2006
Beaufort,SC
Hello Tobias,

We spoke in an e-mail you sent about kibri kits in germany. Anyhow a great place to visit while in Savannah,GA is the " roundhouse railroad museum". Use to be southern railway shops for southern serving Savannah area yards. Tons of steam locomotives freight cars,machines,cabooses ect. Last time I went I took my son,although hes not a train nut like the old man,he enjoyed it none the less. Be sure to take a photos well worth the visit.

//http://www.railga.com/oddend/roundhouse.html
www.railga.com/oddend/roundhouse.html

Patrick
Beaufort,SC
Dragon River Steel Corp {DRSC}

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
I am having a "senior moment", but as soon as I post this someone will surely help me out. There is a narrow gauge tourist railroad that used to be a logging railroad in Georgia. They stopped running trains to the top of the mountain in winter a few years ago, but they probably have some sort of display open. They have Shays, Heislers, & Climaxes on display and working when the railroad runs I believe. The name "Bald Mountain" keeps running through my head, but that may be because my head has become a "bald mountain".

slagpot

Jul 11, 2006
Beaufort,SC
Russ Bellinis said:
I am having a "senior moment", but as soon as I post this someone will surely help me out. There is a narrow gauge tourist railroad that used to be a logging railroad in Georgia. They stopped running trains to the top of the mountain in winter a few years ago, but they probably have some sort of display open. They have Shays, Heislers, & Climaxes on display and working when the railroad runs I believe. The name "Bald Mountain" keeps running through my head, but that may be because my head has become a "bald mountain".

Hello Russ,

Are you thinking of Cass scenic railroad in West Virginia ? Thats the only logging railroad I know of still operating in the US. BTW the mountian is "Bald knob", I think thats where the train ends.Hope that helps.....

Patrick
Beaufort,SC
Dragon River Steel Corp {DRSC}

caliban

May 3, 2006
Lower-Saxony, GERMANY
Hi all,

thanks for letting me know. I will sure visit the museum in Savannah. Any recommendations where to stay in Charleston?
Hey Slagpot is there any of interest (non railroad releated) in the Beaufort area, other than Parris Island?