Visit to Indiana

Iron Goat

Apr 9, 2004
Missouri
Visit site
Indy trip....

The Avon Yard is a good bet, it was the old NYC Indiana Divn., then it was Penn Central, and now CSX. It is a Hump/class
yard with lots of traffic and action. I used to work there....
long ago !

The NYC System Historical Society Big Four Train Show is on April 24th, at the Clarion Hotel, if you can make that date.

Have a safe anfd fun trip.....

Bob Hollowell
Iron Goat

F

Fred_M

I would get a rental car and drive to the Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago. They have a new multimillion dollar HO layout and IMHO would be worth the three hour drive. FRED

Tomo

Feb 4, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
Visit site
I live in Indianapolis, but being such a newbie I really don't know what is available, there isn't a layout in my home yet :)

Avon Yards would be nice, but I think you would need a tour by a CSX employee due to the increased security woes of our nation. I'll contact a friend of mine whom recently retired from the Avon Yards after 40 years of employment for information.

There are a couple of train groups in town, but on my visits they were deep into reworking the layouts and not running.

Check out the following website there may be a couple of contacts you could make through them: http://cid.railfan.net/ I believe this would be your best source of information.

There are several hobby shops in the area. I would assume you're staying near the airport, and if that is true "Big Four Hobbies" is in Plainfield. They have a nice selection of RR Modeling supplies, locomotives and such.

The Children’s Museum has a Climax (I believe it's a Climax) on display in side. They had at one time a large HO layout, which has been replaced by a G-scale running the ceiling.

If ya can't find too much I could drive by your hotel after 4 PM and drive ya around the town a little and possibly pick up your dinner :)

Tomo

krokodil

Nov 20, 2003
Austria
www.railfilm.net
Hi everybody

I know quite well the area (it is not my first visit). The Avon yard would be fine if I can get some help.
I was not in Lafayette yet, so probably it will be my next trip.

Thank you very much.

Avon Yard will get you arrested if you do not have permission. The same is true of Beech Grove. I was able to tour Avon Yard with permission and some of what I saw is on my Railroads of Madison County web site at: http://madisonrails.railfan.net/ If you can get permission, it is a great trip. You can always spend a little time down at Union Station and watch the train movements.

Something that no one has mentioned is the Indiana Transportation Museum, home of NKP 587, in Forrest Park in Noblesville.

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
Something that no one has mentioned is the Indiana Transportation Museum, home of NKP 587, in Forrest Park in Noblesville.

I don't think it will be offiically open during the week yet, but they seem willing to le tpeople in if there are working in the shop.

I hope to take my wife on the Dinner in the Diner trip a week from tomorrow :D

Tomo

Feb 4, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
Visit site
ET,

I was not able to contact my friend about you touring the Avon Yards because he is in Washington State on vacation and will not be returning to Indianapolis until May.

Sorry.

Tomo