Virtual Diorama Sky Work

Discussion in 'Dioramas & Displays' started by Gil, May 21, 2007.

1. Gil

Gil Active Member

I've been learning to use Vue 6 by E-on. This is the same software used to create scenery for 'Pirates of the Carribean" amongst others. The new release has spectral clouds which allows modeling of clouds to be accomplished as a scene element and just not a background matte painting.

One comment thus far is that setups have to be thought out carefully. Setting spectral cloud parameters is a bit tricky because of the layer upon layer of complexity makes each setup a separate and distinct work of art.

The scene below took around 12 minutes to render and isn't even broadcast quality (computers are really slow). The Lancaster is a canned low poly object used mainly as a prop to get the lighting right. The scene is done with two cloud layers with the Lancaster flying just below the ceiling of the upper layer. The idea here is to use CG apps such as Vue to generate surround environments for models that have been shot with blue or green matte backgrounds (makes it easy to cutout the model from the matte) so that the surround and model can be composited to achieve a realistic overall diorama effect with correct lighting. Makes for great box or cover art!

Have to go read another chapter of HMTL for Dummies before sleep, so I have to go now...,

2. Gil

Gil Active Member

Addicting Software...,

Hi All,

Took a break and did a little more work with E-on Vue 6. I haven't even scratched the surface of this application and I'm finding all sorts of absolutely wonderful stuff. The downside of all this wonderful stuff is that it can chew through time like an out of control worm hole....,

Below is something I dredged up to work with the materials editor a bit to see how it all works together. Vue allows you to create an entire biosphere around the subject allowing your imagination to run somewhat amok (love that word)..., Now to paint clumps of weeds here and there, a row of trees...,

3. Gil

Gil Active Member

More of the Addiction...,

Had to try the SS-1 Holland in water...,

Ok, so now I am really impressed with the capabilities of this software. Had to go through the usual export import file morass but found a combination that works though there are some bugs that need to be worked out.

I am one happy camper with Vue 6!

4. barry

barry Active Member

That looks good Gil but the price would give my wallet and my bank manager heartfailure
  5. RyanShort1

RyanShort1 Member

Barry - you can get an evaluation copy for FREE... Look for the Personal Learning Edition. You have to fill out some information, then they will send you an email with instructions on how to download it.

6. Gil

Gil Active Member

More Stuff...,

Made a little further progress with E-on Vue 6. Scene consists of meta-clouds over a procedural ocean and a broken cumulus bands as a sky backdrop. Sun color changed to golden soft with soft shadows on. Pretty impressive app...,

7. SAustin16

SAustin16 Member

Hi all,

Vue is VERY IMPRESSIVE. Gil, your work is like being there. Great job.
  8. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Stick a PBY Black Cat in the picture banking to the left and you got yourself on nice piece of artwork!

Very cool software Gil, and you seem to be getting the "hang" of it very splendidly!

How well does it capture on paper?

9. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

This is just some beautiful work, Gil!

Your renderings of the Holland reminded did your test build of her work out? Did you decide upon what scale you would use? She sure was a beautiful looking ship and you did some superb work on the graphics as I recall.

10. Gil

Gil Active Member

Thanks for plaudits! Clouds are fascinating objects and are difficult to paint realistically using traditional media. Vue also renders water with as much realism. Using this software has done more for my understanding of atmospherics in art than I could have ever learned elsewhere. Just think what the old masters would have done for or with a tool like this!

On a separate subject one item that is now the focus of rendering undetectable scenes is the use of High Dynamic Range Images or HDRI. The idea is to illuminate objects by surrounding them with the intended scenery that provides the illumination just as in real life. It has now become a requirement for all major motion pictures for production CGI. This hearkens back to some of the stuff that was written here regarding painting natural surface aluminum. By the way this is one of the many projects that I've got on the list but it now has an industry acceptable process behind it.

What's happening with SS-1 Holland? It's on the hold list currently. There's some interest in developing it into a commercial entity (see below) and is currently under negotiation.

11. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

Where do I sign up! Hey, no shoving, wait your turn...:grin:

Seriously, please keep us all advised, I do believe you might have a few customers already waiting to get this gem.

I wish you all the best and really hope this is the start of a very fruitful paper model designing career!

12. Gearz

Gearz Member

Most Excellent! I'd love to be able to produce pics like these!! Gil = Artist!

I'm an avid lover of Aviation Art.. This is brilliant stuff, although kind of concerning, are we in danger of losing the paint brush? or not being able to tell the difference? ( in cyberspace anyway)
  13. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

Excellent pictures!! Definitely want to see more~~
  14. Fishcarver

Fishcarver Active Member

Great Stuff!!

I'm glad that you posted these pix here!
  15. Gil

Gil Active Member

This is the kind of stuff that once you begin playing with it you will never go home...., You are all welcome and just let me add that there is much more to come.