Virgin A340

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by amesmj, Jun 18, 2009.

1. amesmj

amesmj New Member

Hi Everybody,
    Not sure what happened to Peter's thread on the A340, but this is my latest update on what has turned out to be a total rebuild.
    As you can see from the pics, i had a big problem with the re-designed wing root, which sent the back end out in all directions:-

Attached Files:

2. amesmj

amesmj New Member

The new build is well on it's way with a nearly completed fuselage, and hopefully i can still use the undercarriage and the engines off the first model.
    While i was rebuilding i came across this "plastic type foam" packing that i found to be very usefull for formers, saved a lot of time laminating pieces of card together:-

Attached Files:

3. amesmj

amesmj New Member

For anyone that missed the previous thread, these are the pics of the engines:-

enjoy the pics

Attached Files:

4. Maico Shark

Maico Shark Guest

Anxious to see the completed build....
  5. Cybermac

Cybermac Member

Excellent job!!!!

6. amesmj

amesmj New Member

Hi, did'nt want to bore you with the rest of the build, so here are the pics of the completed model:-

Attached Files:

7. sr5nm

sr5nm Member

Looks great. I need to build some airplanes to hang around the house. Maybe the Fly Models Vulcan? It should cast quite a shadow.
  8. David H

David H Member

Pretty darn stunning. I love big models!

9. Jan Kytop

Jan Kytop Member

Beautiful model!And a big one!
    What is the scale?
  10. amesmj

amesmj New Member

Hi, Not quite sure on the scale, all i did was print out on A3 card instead of A4 paper.
  11. scon10

scon10 Member

Well, all sides of paper A sizes have a constant relationship of square root of 2, which is approx 1,4142. Therefore, the surface area of A-3 is double the size of A-4, so the linear size increase of something printed on A-3 becomes the square root of 2 times as large as the same object on A-4. Scale 1:50 would then become something like 50 : 1,4142 = 35,3.
  12. Maico Shark

Maico Shark Guest

An Amazing build thanks for sharing.
  13. amesmj

amesmj New Member

Thanks Scon10, the original was 1:120 so using your method it gives me 1:84.85 which sounds about right to me.
    Thanks again for the info.
  14. SAustin16

SAustin16 Member

Outstanding. Those wings are a work of art.
  15. Soaring

Soaring Middle School Student

Love the engines.
  16. NYC Irish

NYC Irish Member

Very nice build, I used to see A340's landing in Newark Airport on my way home from College, very very dangly and awkward looking aircraft

John John
  17. james lea

james lea New Member

Just joined here today... and i am into aircraft and space vehicles. The first thing i find is your excellent build of the A340 - 600 and i must say this WOW :eek: you are a very precise builder and i am very impressed with your work :thumb: I have made a few planes and Space vehicles since i was made redundant from work :cry: . I used to make plastic models, but i saw a few free paper models one day searching the net... at first i thought NO you can't do that with paper, but then i saw some really great and very challenging models - so now i'm HOOKED :mrgreen: i searched around and a friend told me about this forum - i am so pleased he did, this place looks and feels really good. All the best. James
  18. amesmj

amesmj New Member

Thanks for your comments folks, the 340 is the free download from Canon that i printed on A3 instead of A4, with a few alterations.
    Not sure what to build next, maybe BEA Comet or one of the other free downloads the British Airways B747 would be nice on A3, not sure if i have enough space.
  19. james lea

james lea New Member

Hello. The BEA Comet is a nice aircraft, especially the version with the shorter fuselage {forgotten the version number} and yes a 747 would be nice to see in a large scale :twisted: but the room isn't getting any bigger is it :cry: Will follow what ever you make friend. :thumb:
  20. amesmj

amesmj New Member

Hi All,
    Today i printed out the Comet 4B on std A4 paper, but i don't think my eyes are ready for something so small yet so i think i am going to go with the Canon British Airways B747-400. I printed this out on A4 glossy photo paper and it looks quite good but before i go for the enlarged version i'll do a test build on the std size and see how it goes.
    I'll keep you posted as i get into the build.