Viper MKII and Stealth Viper

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Rhaven Blaack, Jun 13, 2009.

1. Rhaven Blaack

Rhaven Blaack ADMINISTRATOR Administrator

Hello every one,

I am looking for the Viper MKII Stealth Viper card models. I did go you Jaybat's web site to download it, but the links are not working. I did e-mail him, but I have not recieved a responce. With out stepping on his shoes or pissing anyone off, I was wondering if there was anyone out there that could sent me a copy of both Vipers to my e-mail (if that is possible and acceptible). Like I said before I am not trying to step on anyones toes or piss any one off, so if I am stepping out of line by asking this, some one please let me know and I will not do it again.

Thank you for your help.
  2. Taikero

Taikero New Member

I too am looking for these models, and it's what brought me to this forum. He said in his guestbook that the files were once posted here (with his permission), although I'm still in the process of searching. If anyone has the files, they'd be greatly appreciated.
  3. Maico Shark

Maico Shark Guest

Is this OK to do? If he has posted files here then they are in the public domain. Did you do a search of this forum? There's 170,000 sites on a simple yahoo search offering free paper downloads. Just out of curiosity....Why come here and start this thread...I mean I don't care we can discuss anything. Me, I'm a box builder, give me a nice piece of walnut and I'm good to go. I just don't get it & please forgive my ignorance of your craft, I mean no disrespect but could you post a photo of your work so we can see what your capable of building?
  4. Modeler22

Modeler22 New Member

Well the only place the models were available was on Jay's website. If I'm not mistaken, his objective is to get someone who downloaded the models before the links broke, to send him the files now that he can't download them.

Jay is very open with distribution, so I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem. I happen to have copies I can host on a server and give you the link here, temporarily, until he fixes the links on the site.
  5. RodentMaster

RodentMaster Member

I've got the Mk.II, but not the stealth. Will send it to your e-mail.
  6. Maico Shark

Maico Shark Guest

Wow!!! you are really friendly....and helpful too! But you know I bet if I punched Viper MKII and Stealth Viper into our search feature bet you I'd get a bunch of hits. But sharing & helping is what our community is here for.
  7. davelant

davelant Member

The files in question are in the Zealot Forum under Downloads, under "Movies, TV Shows and Games," subcategory "Battlestar Galactica." Look and you shall find.

In regard to our new administrator's question, "Is this OK to do?", let me try an answer. We have a long history in the various card modeling forums of discussing copyright and the respect of designer's rights. You, as a box builder, realize the difference between templates and a finished box. The difference between a Maico blueprint and an actual motorcycle. These files are templates. The creator of the template owns the copyright of the template, as a matter of law, and does not, cannot relinquish it by posting it here. They are certainly not in the public domain, as this term is understood in copyright law. (Just because I see a movie on TV, it's not in the public domain; that would mean that anyone is free to take it and alter it to their liking.) This may sound strange to you, but I am married to an intellectual property attorney, and they are strange people.

So if Jaybats were to come here and remove his files from the downloads, and express his desire not to distribute them anymore, we do not "share" them, even if we have a copy on our personal hard drives. Then it would not be OK. Somebody could ask, but we would have to say no. Have no doubt, the templates belong to the copyright holder, and to help distribute them would expose the "sharer" and the website to civil liability.

In the past 10 years, paper modeling in the USA has gone from zero to...well, slightly greater than zero. There is a long tradition of European paper models printed and widely sold like books or magazines, but that didn't happen here (much). Here, and elsewhere, there was a sudden explosion of interest due to the Internet, the PDF file, the printer, and the freely available model. Designers and builders were the same enthusiasts, sharing their designs without compensation, and the availability of good designs attracted more builders, who sometimes in their turn became designers.

So we come here for a variety of reasons. We want to hear about new, commercially printed models, about new free downloadable models, about commercial downloadable models, to share tips, to show our builds in progress, and to discuss techniques. We want to hear opinions on which of the 170,000 sites are good (about 30 of them) and which are garbage (about 169,970).

So as to why Rhaven Black started this thread, well, look at him. He's new. He may not know much. But he knows he's looking for a science fiction paper model. He's not going to ask in the RC forum, or the HO train forum. He's going to ask in the card modeling science fiction forum, where somebody might know.
  8. Maico Shark

Maico Shark Guest

Thank you Dave for your considered reply. I understand the hobby much better. We may not agree about creative property rights however. I am a professional writer. I work for a magazine and often write very creative stories. They are copyrighted. No one has the right to copy that material and distribute it without my consent (or my publisher's) So, your wife certainly must have told you that in order to have such protection under the law the design, story, motorcycle blueprint must be copyrighted. Posting such material on an internet download site is not the same as putting it into a magazine or a movie or a parts manual because it could be considered implied consent even if the consent were not written. In addition said work would have to include a valid copyright insignia in my humble opinion so as to insure those who copied it would not be at liberty to distribute copies themselves. You will never see a movie, a book, magazine, that does not display a copyright insignia. I would doubt if anyone would bother with that if it was not a legal requirement. So if someone has uploaded a design on this site, or any other site, and described it as a FREE download, they would have to get a good lawyer like your wife, and give her a whole bunch of money to prevent the distribution of said material to anyone wanting it. And even then would, in my opinion, lose. But I'm just a layman. As I have noted before, 170,000 internet sites offer FREE cardmodel designs. Why would anyone pay? And if that's the case, why would anyone copyright them?
  9. Taikero

Taikero New Member

Thanks for the replies everyone.

As far as Jay's allowance of the posting of the files on this forum, he said on his guestbook in Feb. 2009:

Also, posted on his website,

As he points out, explains it best. In other words, feel free to post the models here. People would thank for it it, I'm sure.

That said, in reply to

Are you referring to I saw that model, but I don't know Jay's user handle on this forum, so I couldn't verify his. Comparing the example photo of that model to the one often seen on the internet in my searches for Jay's model led me to believe they were different designs.

In contrast to

(My apologies for the non-uniformity of picture size, I simply hotlinked those.)

I'll be PMing RodentMaster in hopes of snagging Jay's Viper Mk. II model, but any further insight would be appreciated.
  10. Rhaven Blaack

Thank you every one for your advise.

Maico shark> I have some of my work on the models showcase forum. Most of my work is scratch built. I have just started building kit. It was not until just a little while ago (I was doing research for Buck rogers Starfighter MK2) that I found this forum and found out that there are in fact others that are REALLY into paper/card modeling.
    Right now, I am redesigning and updating the Buck Rogers Starfighter MK2 and afterwards scratch building it.

Once again, thank you every one for your help and advise.
  11. Mordante

Mordante New Member

Rodentmaster is there anychanc eoyu could kindly send me the MKII viper file as well please..
  12. Rhaven Blaack

Rodentmaster> Thank you very much for the help. It is greatly appreciated.
  13. sjsquirrel

sjsquirrel Member

Not to mention

Not to mention sarcasm, belittling and condescension.....

As one who carries the title "Administrator" under his/her username I would think that you had learned the wisdom of the saying "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything".

14. Mordante

Mordante New Member

Add my thanks to the list for RM he very kindly emailed the MKII to me after I asked him.
  15. RodentMaster

RodentMaster Member

Just as an FYI, I'm all about copyright protection and whatnot, but as Maico pointed out you have to copyright something in the first place to expect the protection it provides. Under Jaybats' webpage I noticed this:

"You're welcome to download any of the files. TRY THEM OUT and give me feedback.
    They are available for FREE, they are not being sold. You have permission to also distribute them, but ONLY FOR FREE. I DO NOT ALLOW them to be distributed in any form or media, or included in any other compilation, work, or media, that is paid for in money or other thing in consideration.
    PLEASE DO NOT REMOVE MY NAME OR MARKS from any of the files or print-outs that may be produced from them. These files are being shared with you on the condition that will likewise ONLY SHARE them with others, and will not seek to profit from them."

Which is the reason I offered to e-mail this viper Mk.II in the first place (had it been some pay model or something no put out there for public distribution I would be more respectful to the folks' wishes that made it).

I started a decade ago with paper. I'd begun in plastic, moved locations, no money, no kits, a kid with time on his hands, and so I just did really basic paper models of star trek ships, from memory (no plans, no nothing). Using cans as circles to trace on paper, etc, then later getting a compass (WOW!). So I rely mostly on freely distributed models now that I've found this website. I respect that, and wouldn't take that from the guys that made them, because I want them to continue what they do.

Just wanted to add my 2 cents.
  16. Shin_kazama

Shin_kazama Member

jaybat's colonial Blackbird is not accurately coloured and unproportionate.

paragon has re-updated the colonial viper 2 and 7, recolored and corrected engine size for the blackbird.

i no longer have the link to his project page, but PM him and he'l tell you.
  17. RodentMaster

RodentMaster Member

18. Maico Shark

Maico Shark Guest

It is OK to post such links here as it is a free site (though donations are solicited).