Vinyl Floor Material For Backdrop

Drew1125

I am constructing a backdrop, & I'm not as young as I used to be, & I don't really feel like building heavy-duty framework, & wrestling with a piece of masonite to get it screwed on to the frame. (I want a continuous backdrop, with curved corners)
I toyed with the idea of using poster board, or mat board, but I couldn't find anything of sufficient length.
Then I remembered reading somewhere several years ago about someone using a piece of vinyl flooring as a backdrop. I have just such a piece in my garage.
Anybody ever tried it? Any pros or cons or tips?
Thanks for any help!

Virginian

I have a couple of suggestions: Make a paper template, trace your outline onto the vinyl material, or draw your line free hand, if you want.Make your cut with a curved 'linoleum' knife, or use a good, sharp utiliy knife.Lightly score first, and then make repeat cuts rather than one deep cut.
Another idea is to use one of those rotozip tools..I've seen demos on TV of them working quite well for just about any material, including vinyl flooring. I think one could use a dremel to finish the edges once you make your rough cut, or maybe even use a cut off disk to cut the stuff in the first place.
Good luck
VGN

[This message has been edited by Virginian (edited 03-20-2001).]

jimnrose

Charlie,
I used a plastic laminate (surplus formica) as the backdrop and glued it to the concrete cellar wall with liquid glue. I needed to temporarily tack the laminate in place with masonry nails until the glue dried. It did a good job of radially cutting the corners. Hope this helps. Jim

George

Charlie,

I like the suggestions of Virginian and Jimnrose, but I get the idea that you want to use this backdrop also as a scenery divider?
I get that impression as you don't seem to want to fasten this permanently down.
So, do you want to hang it from the ceiling?

If you want one side mountains, build up your mountains and at the crest, continue the lichen/trees over the top and down just out of sight. Paint sky and clouds on the linoleum and when you hang it, have it back perhaps three inches from the landscape to offer a nice illusion of depth. Use your imagination for the other side.
wink.gif
You can do the same with buildings.

This makes it possible for you to paint your own backdrop without being a Van Gogh and worrying about painting hills, etc.

Nice quick project with a can of spray paint!
smile.gif

George.

Drew1125

Thanks George.
Sorry I wasn't very clear in explaining my situation.
What I have is a plywood shelf 60" long & 15" deep. 18" above this another shelf of identical dimentions. Using pieces of masonite, I've constructed a back & sides, resulting in sort of a "shadow box" hanging on the wall of my workshop. I've installed flourescent lighting & a valance at the top, a facia board across the bottom, & a couple of verticle 1x3's at each end, giving the whole thing a theatrical stage feel.
I wanted a concave backdrop, curved, with no seams or corners. I've used masonite in the past, but it requires a rigid framework, & a lot of muscle to get it where you want it. So I thought I could glue a piece of vinyl (linolium) into the back of this "stage".
I wasn't sure about adhesives, so I went looking. I found an "all purpose" floor adhesive. I'm gonna give it a try this evening. I'll let you know if I have any luck.

George

Sounds like you're going to need an extra pair of hands with that job.

Are you painting only sky on it, or attaching an available printed backdrop to it?

George.

Drew1125

You're right George!
But I believe that right after man invented the wheel, he invented the C-clamp!
biggrin.gif

Since this is going to be somewhat of an urban scene, I thought I'd paint a sky, & cut out some industrial type buildings from Walther's & glue them on.

George

Buildings up against the backdrop is a nice effect:
cool.gif
Have you thought of cutting out small holes for window lighting and perhaps small holes in the backdrop sky for stars?

One simple lightbulb behind the backdrop can light everything!
smile.gif

George.

Drew1125

You know George, I've seen that done, & it hadn't even occured to me with this little project. That's a great idea! I could even rig up a black light behind the valance for some "night light"!