Vintage Varney ID's?? EMD Ft's??

TedTrain

Hi All!
I hope you can help me with Varney Diesel ID's? Are they EMD Ft's? What does the 1940 mean that's stamped on the back side? IS it the date of mfg.?

Many thanks, TedTrain

2VarnErie1.jpg

2VarnErie2.jpg

2VarnErie7.jpg

brakie

Those are either FTs or F3s..I am not sure what the 1940 is unless it was the year this locomotive was first produce..

F

Fred_M

I would guess F3. FTs had the portholes set close together and the roofs had a different shape. Try yahoo images and search "FT locomotive" and "F3 Locomotive" and note the differences in the areas I mentioned. Fts also had a different wheelbase than later F units but there is no way to tell looking at a picture, even if Varney got it right LOL. Fred

Those are F-2's or early F-3's. The F2 production period was 7/45-11/46 while the F-3 was 7/46-2/49. The three porthole side panels were used through the first few months of 1947. After that the two porthole side panels were used on the F-3's, some with the chicken wire screen and some with side panels like the F-7. What the 1940 stands for I can't guess since it was still early in the FT production years.

Greg

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
After some research, I have found that the models you have are F-3's. Here's a pic of the grill and roof line that fits those to a tee.
Here's a pic of FT's also, just for the sake of argument.
I hope you do restore them.
Pics are from George Elwoods site.

Attachments

• f3grill Medium Web view.jpg
    f3grill Medium Web view.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 134
  • erie-ft-abd Small Web view.jpg
    erie-ft-abd Small Web view.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 125

CN1

FT's numberboard are of a different design and so is the roof as 88fan pointed out.

Your model are definetely F3's

Russ Bellinis

Since they are obviously f3's and 1940 is 5-6 years before the f3's saw the light of production, I would guess the 1940 has nothing to do with the year. I suspect it is a part number for that particular body casting.

COX 47

Varney sold thm as F3's. You can drop the body on an Athearn F7 and have a heavy unit that will pull the paper off the wall!! Cox 47