Vintage Tenshodo Info needed!

TedTrain

Jan 17, 2004
Visit site
Hi ALL!
I just got ahold of some Vintage Tenshodo Brass stuff, and not brass. I even have a Vinatge Transforemer, never used, cord still colied! I was told that this collection was bought while a Soldier was in Korea. It's about 50 years old! Does anyone here know of a site that specailizes in Vintage Tenshodo?

Did they also make wooden kits? I have kits that are wood, with some metal. All in plain white boxes.

ANY info would be great!

Many thanks,TrainTed

steamhead

Apr 16, 2005
Brownsville, TX
Sorry...no info here...:cry:

The closest I've ever gotten to Tenshodo stuff is a couple of twin-coil switch machines I bought off eBay....:mrgreen:

GN.2-6-8-0

May 25, 2006
Glendale AZ.
You can help us out by posting a few pictures so we have some idea of what were dealing with.
Tenshodo had a huge number of products availablel Everything from switch machines ,structures to passenger cars and of course some of the most beautiful steamer's of the time.
Unfortunely not everything they produced was of the same quality.
So a few pics. would help us sort it out a bit.

TedTrain

Jan 17, 2004
Visit site
OK..I have many Pix!
What I do know that the Great Norther A & B are Brass. The NY Central is not. Can you tell by all the Orange boxes their age? Same goes for the unassembled Passenger cars, all are Brass, all in orange boxes.

I have that cool Transformer, never used.

The TRACK! Who make it? It is wonderful stuff! Brass on Wood? No markings, except the hand markings on back. Wonderful quality...but who made it?

I also have several unassembled kits. They are in plain white boxes. Only one has instructions. It's in english with Japanese (?) Chop on the bottom, Tenshodo?

any help would be great!!!

Tench1.jpg

Tench2.jpg

Tench3.jpg

Tench4.jpg

Tench5.jpg

Tench6.jpg

Tench7.jpg

Tench8.jpg

Tench9.jpg

Tench10.jpg

Tench11.jpg

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
The track is True Scale. Their specialty was the milled wood road bed. It was available ready made, I think. It was also available with the ties milled on the roadbed ready to spike down your rails. The third way it was available was as smooth milled roadbed that you would fasten the flex track to.

GN.2-6-8-0

May 25, 2006
Glendale AZ.
Yep' thats Truescale track along with a doubleslip crossover,good stuff back in the day.
None to sure how many use it today though I'm sure you'll find a few older layouts with segments of it in place where fancy crossovers were needed
The Tenshodo F units and passenger set i would guess are mid 1950's or early 1960's issue.
Not really much value there I 'm afraid.
any of todays plastic unit's will surpass them in detaill and running
quality.
As for the power pack, I'd check that real closley before using it 'not only because of its age but there could be differences between the electic requirement's between Japan and the United States.

Glen Haasdyk

Feb 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Visit site
The great northern f-unit looks like it has an old hobbytown drive but maybe this was haw the drives were before the standard Athearn drive came to be?
I bought a boxful of that ru-scale track at a swap meet years ago really nice stuff for it's day and the only place you could get the specalized peices like the slips and curved turnouts. I ended up using the staight sections for my display case since it was all brass rail.