Vintage Le Mans race car

Discussion in 'Internet Finds' started by rickstef, Mar 29, 2007.

1. rickstef

rickstef Guest

Hi all,

I just completed in one week, a build of the Renault Alpine A442 Le Mans prototype racecar which raced for 3 times at Le Mans, winning the 1978 version.

And now the pictures

I won this car on ebay, the kit was printed on a single sheet, folded in 3's about 2.5 pages, the remaining half was build diagram and other instructions.

The kit was given out by Renault UK, showcasing their 1979 line up of cars and overall winner of the 1978 Le Mans

Hope you like it

2. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Excellent job, Rick!
    A very sharp looking, clean build!:wink:

We don't see many race cars here on the forum and I sure hope this will inspire some more builds like this one.

A winning model of a winning race car!
    Display with pride!8)

3. yaniv

yaniv Active Member

this car truly nice :)
  4. thewoodengraver

thewoodengraver Active Member

Awesome, fantabulous!
  5. Gil

Gil Active Member

Antique Build!

Hi Rick,

I guess this would be an antique build. It reminds me of the Renault Dauphine automobile sold here in the states during the late 50's early 60's. It was one of those cars that was hard to tell which way the designer intended it to go in forward gear. I remember my Dad trading it in for a Lloyd Alexander. My brother put that one out its misery too...,

6. rowiac

rowiac Member

Very nice build! I agree with Russell that we need more cars on the forum (race or otherwise).

7. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

That turned out realy good! Good win on ebay, I never find squat ;)
  8. BARX2

BARX2 Member

Cool looking car and great build.
  9. rmks2000

rmks2000 Member

Nice job. Wish I could complete a model in a week. :>)
  10. Clashster

Clashster Member

Very cool, Rick! And a build in a week! I'm not sure I can make up my mind what to build next in a week's time!!

11. I like it Rick! Was it a model from "Adventures at Speed" magazine? I've picked up a couple of those - one contains a model of the Golden Arrow LSR car, and the other is a formula 1 car (not sure which one). They are die cut models which I don't really like, but models of LSR cars are so rare, I bought it in spite of it. Is your model die cut? In any case, it makes a very nice unique model. I like to build those rare ones, even if they are outdated by today's more detailed models.
  12. rickstef

rickstef Guest

Thanks all for the praise.

Don, the car was I think a promotional giveaway from Renault UK.

Roger, I know, it seems you and i are keeping the rubber clad wheel section alive, I will definitely do more car models, still got alot of trucks too

13. SCEtoAux

SCEtoAux Member

That's a neat looking car.

I saw an interview with a Grand Prix driver from the 50's and 60's. He was asked about comparing today's drivers with those of his era. He said it would be impossible to compare them accurately because of the technology. When he approached a sharp corner his thoughts were centered around if he would survive the crash; the drivers now think about how soon they can get back to the pits and get back on the road. His safety gear consisted of a flimsy helmet, goggles(sometimes), and short sleeves.:)
  14. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Please tell me you build a SCAN of that and not the original!:oops:

Very good job again!

15. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Very nice and clean Rick!
  16. RM_clermont

RM_clermont Member

Awesome model Rick, I should try to build a car, looks funny and by the way we've got the same laptop :p
  17. rickstef

rickstef Guest

original kit build, but i did scan it, so i could always edit it

18. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Wow an almost thirty year old un-cut paper model handout................ I don't think I could have cut that myself.8)

But it did make a good model........... in spite of it's age!

19. rickstef

rickstef Guest

yeah the model did build up nicely, even though the engine cowling gave me fits, that was really the hardest part to get on to the car
  20. rowiac

rowiac Member

Yes, we definitely need more trucks too! The Epson transport tractor was a fun build. One of these days I'll build the Betexa Peterbilt.