Vintage aircraft by Eric Goedkoop

Discussion in 'Internet Finds' started by Leif Oh, May 18, 2005.

1. Leif Oh

Leif Oh Member

Go have a look at Eric Goedkoop's gallery. He is from Cincinnati, Ohio, and obviously to shy to introduce himself, but his planes speak volumes for themselves:

They are scratch-built in a lovely clean way, utilizing the natural finish of the paper as far as I can detect. This one is a "Goupy", which Eric hasn't been able to find any information about at all he says. The prop is made by eleven layers of laminated card, to replicate the original construction.

There is also a very clean Swedish Nieuport:

I think this style of building is extremely attractive, highly commendable, and close to an art-form. Eric, how about tackling the Swedish Thulin E monoplane, very similar to the Nieuport?

Best, and welcome,

2. EricGoedkoop

EricGoedkoop Member

Thank you for the kind words, Lief.

I'm not really shy at all - I've been meaning to introduce myself but have been tied up on a non-cardmodeling project for the last few weeks. I was hoping to get a few more models finished before I joined in, but I needed a break from the other thing last night so I uploaded the pictures.

I've been cardmodeling for about five years now, but have moved several times and the collection doesn't always travel well. I've also given a lot of things away. Lief is correct about the Goupy and Nieuport - they're both done with different colors of cardstock and minimal coloring. The only printed parts are the engine cylinder fins. I work from 3-view drawings and photographs, and draw almost everything by hand.

Next up is a Nieuport 11, Belgian markings. My wife picked it out. The parts for this one will have to be designed and printed, as it's camouflaged and carries white markings on the side. I'll have to alter my usual construction technique a bit and do a little more pre-engineering, but it should work out all right.

Thanks again for the welcome and the compliments!
  3. kampfflieger

kampfflieger Member

Looks fantastic!

GEEDUBBYA Active Member

Howdy Eic,

Great looking models, these are the things museum quality pieces are made of. I just wanted to welcome you to the forum and compliment you on two beautiful builds. And you did em' "old school" too! wow!.
    There is something to be said for the old ways of doing things, ie...hand drawn. Not many take time to learn that method. I am a machinist by trade, and when we get new employees, they come in looking for CNC equipment, thats not the way I do it where I work, no fancy stuff for us, its all done the old school way, calculations worked out on paper, drawings on paper and all metal turning and cutting done by hand, not computer. I may cheat and use a calculator occassionally or use an ink pen instead of pencil, but thats as high tech as we get.
    Anyway, great looking models, and welcome to the forum, we are glad to have ya.

Greg aka GEEDUBBYA(GW)
  5. EricGoedkoop

EricGoedkoop Member

You guys are making me blush.

Actually, I've got a thing for Morane-Saulniers and have been toying with the idea of doing a group of the MoS L and copies, probably an Austrian Pfalz A1 and a Thulin D. Except for markings and some minor details, they're all the same aeroplane, so I might as well cut the parts for all three at the same time. Might be a good summer project, after the Nie. 11.

Of course, the list of stuff I PLAN to build is as long as my arm. When I finish something (or give up and toss it in the trash), I usually get photos together of the six subjects I'm most excited about and let my family pick which to do next.
  6. Leif Oh

Leif Oh Member

Looking forward to all, or any, of those. In fact, I was mistaken about the Thulin E model; I was thinking of the K model. Don't have any material on that, but there was a nice model of it back in the 50s; lately it was made into a stunning RC scale model kit.

However, I looked through the old heaps of drawings and found Bjorn Karlstrom 3-view drawings of the Thulin A, L, LA (floats), and N models. I also have colour sideviews of the N model and the Swedish Thulin triplane. If you need anything, just holler.