Video alert: Mannned Orbiting Laboratory and Almaz documentary

Discussion in 'Space & Aeronautics' started by davelant, Feb 11, 2008.

1. davelant

davelant Member

Tuesday, February 12, NOVA on PBS runs "AstroSpies," a documentary on the Manned Orbiting Laboratory Air Force space program, and the similar Soviet Almaz space stations. Mock-ups and test articles of these station designs will be seen. Good enough reason to go to the Delta 7 website and order the "Blue Gemini" paper models. I don't know if the Almaz is a available in paper, but I bet somebody in the East bloc published one.
  2. jgderuvo

jgderuvo Member

I'd love to see an MOL paper model. That'd be sweet!
  3. dhanners

dhanners Member

Delta 7 Studios offers an MOL on their "Blue Gemini" CD. I've seen it and it's pretty decent.

I'm currently in the process of scratchbuilding a 1/32nd-scale MOL based on some drawings that were published in the 1990s. I'm using D7S's Gemini-B capsule, and am working to scratchbuild the rest of it if I ever get off by butt from my other projects and finish it. The problem (or, rather, challenge) is that while most of the '60s-era drawings of MOL showed a Gemini-B attached to a rather featureless tube, the drawings I'm working on, which are reportedly fairly "accurate" for a project that never flew, show lots of external details to scratchbuild. Also, the drawings show a different Earth-observing telescope design than some reputable published reports I've read, so I have to figure which design to build.

And when I'm done with that, I want to build a 1/32nd Dyna-Soar to go with it, even though I know MOL came along after the X-20 got cancelled.

The PBS documentary -- which was pretty good, I thought -- indicated there was a whole lot more to MOL than we ever knew....
  4. jgderuvo

jgderuvo Member

Any chance I can get copies of those drawings?
  5. dhanners

dhanners Member

check out

But the author of this article, The Space Review: All along the watchtower says he has it on good authority that the telescope pointed straight down, quite different from the version depicted in the drawings. I e-mailed the author and asked him about the drawings, and the gist of his reply was that he wouldn't put much stock in them.

That said, the guy who did the drawings, C.P. Vick, is (or at least was) very highly regarded in the aerospace world for his ability to ferret out confidential and secret information.

I decided to model the Vick version because it seems more interesting visually, although it is harder to model.