Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by ThunderChild, Jan 26, 2008.

1. ThunderChild

ThunderChild Active Member

Taking a break from building my current project, I decided to rest my scissors-induced aching fingers and finish a 3D model I started a while ago.

The shape seems simple enough for a quick easy build right?
    I found it deceptively difficult to get the basic shapes into a simple form and still stay true to the look, feel and structure of the original! :oops:
    Not as difficult as any of my other models, but still was a bugger to get right!

Well, griping now over, here's a screencap of this golden oldie. 5000 brownie points to all who can guess where she's from! :p

Attached Files:

2. Soaring

Soaring Middle School Student

Aw, I don't know where it's from... I'd better searchy the internet :/ Nice job by the way!

I'm gonna guess Babylon 5?
  3. Soaring

Soaring Middle School Student

4. sdk2knbk

sdk2knbk Guest

I thought I knew my spacegoing capital ships pretty well, but I don't know this one. Best guess I can make is that it's from a video/computer game of some sort.

Scott K.
  5. I'm thinking Space:Above & Beyond?
  6. Bunnyear

Bunnyear Member

Shame on you :twisted:

its one of Wing Commander´s greatest ships :)

very good job:thumb:
  7. Jackrum

Jackrum Member

Wing Commander 3, Heart of the tiger and in 4 as a Orbital museam (A relic of the war. Probably got a plaque right over your bunk :)) Loved the games. I had a crack at designing a concordia class but your right in that the shapes are VERY hard to get right and lush. I'd like to do some of the WC1 era ships such as the scimitar but I need a LOT more practise before I can get there. Can't wait to see your victory on my cutting table.
  8. ThunderChild

And the 5000 brownie points go to Bunnyear and Jackrum! Yay!

Would you believe I'm already finished with everything?! even the instructions!

As I said, I'm busy with another test build at the moment, so....
    Would anyone please test build this for me before I add it to the downloads section? PM me.
  9. Hot4Darmat

Hot4Darmat Member

Believe it or not, I've had a crack at creating a paper model of this one too a couple of years ago, but gave up cuz my skilz were not up to it then. I would love to have a paper model of the Victory, or the Concordia.

I've been a fan of the whole WC series of games, and would love to see more of the vessels get the paper model treatment. I have a Tarsus class light freighter 3D mesh about halfway done somehwhere on my hard-drive. Remember that boxy little winnebago-lookin ship you start out with in Privateer? I had plans to make all 4 player ships from that game. They're still in my WIP folder.

Man I spent a ridiculous number of hours playing Privateer....its almost embarrassing. I don't know how I got through university at all when I think about it now.
  10. ThunderChild

Thanx to Cgutzmer! The Victory is up and available in downloads! Enjoy!

Remember to send some feedback my way. :)
  11. Odysseus

Odysseus New Member

I love this Ship! How do I resize it to be about 2 and a half-3 feet long?
  12. Hot4Darmat

Hot4Darmat Member

13. Hot4Darmat

Hot4Darmat Member

Very nicely done model. I also want to build it big, but this will have to wait. Any way I could convince you to add the other vessels from this Ranger class carrier series Liberty (41), Wellington (42), Freedom (43)? I have the textures for the big numbers as well, if you want them.

Attached Files:

14. ThunderChild

Odysseus: The problem with resizing is the textures that are low quality (the pipework, hangar deck engines etc).

The textures can be redone, unfortunately time is not on my side... Anyone willing to do this, feel free to PM me.

Hot4Darmat: First chance I get I'll add the variations. :)
  15. Odysseus

Odysseus New Member

No problem with the textures, I'm going to convert this to Styrene. I just don't have the resources to resize it myself....:thumb:
  16. ThunderChild

Let me know the % of size you want and I'll blow it up for ya! :D
  17. Odysseus

Odysseus New Member

Thanks TC! I want the finished model to be 24in, so roughly 333% Feel free to correct me as my Math is atrocious.
  18. Hot4Darmat

Hot4Darmat Member

I'd love one at that size too. Count me in.
  19. Odysseus

Odysseus New Member

You know, I had a thought. I was thinking of updating this model to fit into The Galactica universe. Putting ribs along the hull, changing the engines into the elongated ovals, that Galactic has, and replacing the turrets. Don't get me wrong- I love the Victory original design-I wish they would've used her in the WC movie, just some random thoughts.
  20. TonyG2

TonyG2 Member

I got a mesh of the Ranger Class / Victory a while back and had a go at an unfold. Total and utter disaster.

Thank you for giving us a buildable model. Also for getting the name/numbers so they don't read backwards (like on my attempt).

I would echo the call for a larger model (maybe big enough for some tiny fighters to fit the deck) and some additional hull names and numbers.

And now REALLY begging...

How about

A Sheffield Class Destroyer

A Tallahassee Class Cruiser

and the Lexington Class Battlecarrier

Ad yes, I'm a die hard Wingnut....