Vibrations with Fastrack on plywood base

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by yusgab, Dec 12, 2004.

1. yusgab

yusgab New Member

I am building a layout with Fastrack on a 1/2 inch OSB (particle board) base. does the molded roadbed cushion (deaden) any vibrations or noise? I want to fasten all track and fixtures so I can store the 5x8 setup. What is the recommended base for a Fastrack layout?
  2. belg

belg Member

I'm not familiar with the fast track but I think if it is something that concerns you for the noise only it would be helpful. I think that the vibrations with O scale flanges will not be anyhting to worry about. Pat
  3. TR-Flyer

TR-Flyer Member

Hi VUSGAB:
    Why don't you set up a loop of track on your layout table and run the train around it for a day? You'll figure out quickly whether you want to add additional sound deadening to the table top.

4. Greg Elems

Greg Elems Member

Off hand, I would think the Fastrack would be noisey on the OSB. Woodland Scenics sell foam road bed, that would help deaden the sound. I would install it after you have the track plan figured out and laid out for some testing. Then put the foam under the track once you are happy with the layout. The Fastrack is hollow, rail and roadbed, so sound will get amplified. Another solution, is to get a sheet of styrofoam insulation to put on your board. It comes in various thickness and would make adding trees and such easier for scenery. A friend of mine bought the 1" thick sheets and laid it on the table top for his base.

5. Knifeguy

Knifeguy New Member

yusgab, I have a christmas layout , a simple oval for under the tree, attached to 3/4" plywood, 5 x 8, using FastTrack. It's noisy. I meant to pick up some roadbed material like foam, or cork. It is definately needed IMO. :thumb: