Viaducts

rockislandmike

Nov 6, 2001
Edmonton AB
dayfornight.qazam.com
Does anyone know of a good website with pics and info on viaducts ??? I already know I want to include one (I think about 16" long, 10" high), but I checked my "Bridges & Trestles for Model Railroads" (or something like that) book, and it barely gives a passing nod to viaducts.

I should check my public library too.

Mike R

Jan 18, 2002
Meaford Ontario Canada
Visit site
Best article I've seen on building a stone viaduct is J.C Myer's "Crossing Coolie Canyon", August 1978 MR.

If you want to access the magazine index in Trains.com for a line on viaduct articles, you can try ''viaduct'' as a keyword, but there's not much there.

If you type in ''stone arch'' instead, as the keyword select, there are quite a few listed, including the one above.
regards.

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
Michael, I don't know if this will help you, it is decidedly old tech. A club I belonged to about 15 years ago had a fairly nice model of a concrete viaduct, similar to the ones used on the Lackawanna. The sides were basically two laminated layers of masonite. One layer had the arches cut into it, the top layer was similar but cut to simulate the raised areas of the sides. Other pieces included the underside of the arches, each cut to fit, and a deck for track and ballast. Today sheet styrene may be a better choice, although masonite would be easier to cut. Cutting the laminations is the key, find a photo of the prototype you are interested in and it'll become obvious how you need to cut. Good luck.

Gary