Very Thin Paper Rolling

Discussion in 'Tips, Tutorials & Tools' started by Bionic Modeler, Nov 6, 2007.

1. here is a method I never saw before I started building the Krakus (link below). he calls it worm rolling. I tried it and it works very well. I also improved a little on his technique. her is how it works.

1) first cut a strip of bond paper 1/2" +.

2) Then wet it thoroughly laying it on a non-porus surface.

3)take a piece of card stock and lay over the top about 1mm from the edge

4) Pressing your thumb firmly against the table start to roll the edge up over the card stock until you have an edge. It doesn't have to be pretty.

5)then remove the card stock and carefully start to roll the edge along the length until it starts to roll a little.

6) take a piece of cardboard about 8x11 and gently begin from the front edge lightly laying it over the edge moving it forward as you do. this will grab the edge and begin rolling it up into a paper thread once it starts rolling nicely, apply more pressure while moving it forward and presto you have a rolled thread. if you keep rolling it a little more it will get progressively smaller.

This works to any size you want. let dry and coat with glue for a harder end result. This works with printed paper too if you are careful not to rub too much.

I don't know about you but I thought this was a pretty neat trick. let me know after you try it what you think.

Rebuilding The Krakus
  2. KCStephens

KCStephens Member

hamr'Ya lost me somewhere around step 5 or 6
    Do you have any pics?

Also does wetting the paper cause the ink to bleed?
  3. here are som pics in order

Attached Files:

4. As for the ink I would say experiment with your printer. Some inks are more prone to bleeding than others.
  5. KCStephens

KCStephens Member

Thank you very much.
    The pictures are worth a thousand words.
    I'll give it a try.
  6. Gil

Gil Active Member

I've been using this technique for some time now but use a rubber diaphragm cloth as the bottom working mat and a speedball easy cut block printing pad as the forming rolling pad. I also use vellum (tracing paper) which is somewhat impervious to water. I make the start edge with a triangular ruler and a wood clay modeling tool. To make repeat diameter tubes use a wire mandrel inserted into the tube at an early stage of the rolling process. After the tube has been tightened apply PVA glue and continue rolling around the mandrel till it is tight. +Gil
  7. SCEtoAux

SCEtoAux Member

That is a good technique to keep in mind.:thumb:
    A while back someone posted a similar way to make small diameter paper 'worms'. It involved a water/glue mixture (can't remember the exact ratio) and paper towels or toilet paper. Soak the paper in the mixture until it almost starts to fall apart. The rolling technique is about the same as mentioned.