Very sad abandoned locomotives

Spartalee

Dec 8, 2006
Kiinda sad to see them sit out there and rot in the alaskan tundra.....I found this pic while researching what railroad I want to do.

Attachments

• alaska.jpg
    alaska.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 372

Thoroughbreed

Aug 4, 2006
South Eastern AL
My sister was in Alaska for 2 years, her husband was in the Army, and sent me a book about Alaska and that pic was in it. That was in the early 80's. There was a long write up about that RR in it. I'll have to see if I can find that book now.:D

railohio

Dec 29, 2000
There's an Alco on a disconnected spur near Dana, Illinois. I'm guessing it's abandoned.

Spartalee

Dec 8, 2006
Cannonball said:
I want a real train.

There is one for sale for about 50k where I live its a small steamer.

I saw a show on tv where a guy owned a 2-10-4 real big long steamer and he had it on a railroad near his home he drives it all the time. he is crazy rich though.

riverotter

Midwest Alliance Rail Sys
Jun 9, 2005
Near Kansas City, MO
Me, too! I've gotten this far: steam locomotives are LOT more expensive to rehab than diesels, so I'd be happy with an RS-3 or a GP-18.

Attachments

• BooneIA4CR.JPG
    BooneIA4CR.JPG
    33.8 KB · Views: 269
N

nachoman

Great modeling idea though - take an olde junker carp-running steamer from a swap meat of a gew bucks, weather it up, remove the cab and some details, rust it up some more, park it on a side track or the end of a yard track, and instant attention graber. I figure every railroad from 1880-1960 had a derilict steamer sitting somewhere.

kevin

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
Here's a sad pic, well to me it is:cry:. a pair of D&H Baldwin Sharks, just rotting away on the deadline:(. Sharks were my favorite Baldwin engines they made:thumb:. View attachment 32932

Attachments

• Baldwin_sharks_4.jpg
    Baldwin_sharks_4.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 132

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
Oh - that's where these babies are awaiting their end???

I still recall the fuss that was made in the '70s when they repainted those D&H sharknoses in a blue adaptation of the Santa Fe warbonnet scheme and ran exkusrion trains with them. For my eyes these were the most attractive of all the sharknoses. It really hurts to see them rusting away...

Ron