very jumpy or skippy at start

Discussion in 'RC Offroad Forum' started by Tans, Apr 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tans

Tans New Member

I have a 2002 or 03 Traxass T Maxx .15. It has been boxed for a little more than a year. I went to run it the other day and after a little bit of a stuburn starting process it started great. My problem is that now it wants to jump or skip at low RPM on take off. It shifts into second fine and I did reverse and forward a couple of times to check that also, all is well with those functions. I am just concerned about that thing trashing on the tranny like that any idea's on what is causing this to happen. And do the tranny's take any kind of oil? Man I really forgot how fun it was to run that thing!!!! thanks
  2. dj6666969

dj6666969 Active Member

What do you mean by it jumping or skiping at low rpm's? Can you decirde alittle more about that? Also some nice gear grease on the tranny gears would work fine.
  3. Tans

Tans New Member

Sorry about not explaining it better, but it's like the motor is running fine and it is very " jerky " at the first of starting to move. I have looked at the gears that are external and they are fine ( not teeth missing ). Man, it's just that it has a very jerky take off.
  4. dj6666969

dj6666969 Active Member

It could be that the engine is out of tune and needs to be tuned. Take the high speed needle and turn it all the way in and then back it out 2 1/2 turns this is about the right setting for that. See if that makes any difference. Does it idle ok?
  5. Tans

Tans New Member

Yes it idle's fine. It only does this when I go to start to move the truck. If I understand the manuel correctly if the idle was to high the reverse foward function would have a hard time. I don't have a problem with that. It's really wierd, it was fine when I put it up last year :( I thought something was sticking inside the tranny.
  6. dj6666969

dj6666969 Active Member

if the idle was high the truck would keep moveing, you just want the idle high enough for the engine to run smooth and not quit. Since it has been awhile since it was ran it might need a tune up or first if you don't have 1 go out and buy a new Glow PLug this might solve your problem. Keep us posted.
  7. Tans

Tans New Member

Hello again, The motor is running fine guy's. I put a new glow plug in it the day I got it running. This is something to do with the way it first starts out. It wants to jerk or surge against the tranny, just for a couple of feet then it is fully engaged and it runs fine. I'm way confused. I will be running it again this weekend.Maybe something is just sticking in the clutch. :(
  8. dj6666969

dj6666969 Active Member

could be since it hasen't been ran in a year maybe if you have any extra time take the engine out and check in there.
  9. osbornel

osbornel Member

low speed is too lean. neighbor had the same problem.the clutch is engaging because of the idle.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.