Venera Protoype

Discussion in 'Space & Aeronautics' started by jparenti, May 29, 2008.

1. jparenti

jparenti Member

I am currently in the middle of two designs, both scratchbuilds. I have zero experience with scratchbuilding, so be gentle. :mrgreen:
    My Huygens model is waiting for now, but I have made a little progress on my Venera build. Very little material is available for reference, so I'm working off of a couple drawings right now:

Attached Files:

2. cdavenport

cdavenport Member

That's really clever work!
  3. BARX2

BARX2 Member

Really nice work and an excellent paper sphere!
  4. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Russian VENERA Spacecraft Model Prototype

Very nice work, jparenti,

For the next version of this prototype model, you could perhaps try silver paper strips for the lower half of the sphere? That might give it a nice realistic touch.
    I have bought a very nice matted silver paper from a craft shop - it is called CANFORD silver paper, and they are sold in 50x70 cm and 70x100 cm sheets here in Sweden. It also works very well with laser printers . . .

Keep up the good designing work!
    Bengt :thumb:
  5. jparenti

jparenti Member

Thanks for the kind words. I am hoping to use silver paper or possibly paint the sphere on the final version. I may have to see if I can get some of that silver paper Bengt. Is it white on the backside or silver on both sides?
    Anyone who has any information about this spacecraft, let me know! I have some pictures that I managed to wrange out of the Russian language Google, but sources are few and far between. For instance, I don't know what scale I'm working in. The sphere is actually from Leo's Vostok model. I didn't want to reinvent the wheel, and Leo's sphere is the best around, so I reappropriated it. :)
  6. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Canford Silver Paper

Hi jparenti,

The Canford paper has only one colored side. I think the thickness/weight is around 175 g/m2. Pretty ideal to roll and shape.

I tried it for the Lindbergh 'Spirit of St. Louis' and the laser-printed sheets look great.

Bengt :thumb:
  7. jparenti

jparenti Member

Next stage: The lower ring and upper antenna. Not so bad, but the struts are an approximation for now. I'm still not sure how to do the crumple zone on the bottom of the ring. The cross section shows that it's similar to a torus, which I haven't figured out how to represent yet.
    I hope this exercise generates some interest in a more detailed model in the future. My design skills are not up to the standards of someone like Leo, for instance, who's the guru of Soviet spacecraft. But it's a start! :mrgreen:

Attached Files:

8. logicman

logicman Greybeard

9. jparenti

jparenti Member

Thanks! I'm trying to get as close as possible, so everything is a step in right direction. :)
    That website is a gold mine! I found actual blueprints of Pioneer 10 -- three views and everything! I may try my hand at that next. (The free one out there on the net is just a little too simple for my tastes. :mrgreen:) Now if I can figure out how to use software to do this, I could start churning out some free models for everyone. Back to the tutorials! :twisted:
  10. dkaniel

dkaniel Member

WOW! If this is your first attempt at designing and scratchbuilding then you have talent. It looks better then some of finished paper models I have bought from web sites.
  11. Niels

Niels Member

12. jparenti

jparenti Member

Thanks guys. We'll see if I can keep up the good appearances when it comes time to add the details. Right now, my big concerns are the soil drill, the camera, the coolant pipes, and the triangular spikes along the bottom ring. Then I need to figure out how to model the toroidal bottom ring. Still a lot of work ahead, but it's fun to see what I can accomplish with only drafting tools and grainy photos. :)

Attached Files:

13. jparenti

jparenti Member

Sort of OT...

Anyone want to venture a guess at what my next project may be? :mrgreen:

Attached Files:

14. jparenti

jparenti Member

I didn't forget about this project, I just had to put it aside. I'm still working on the details, and I'll keep you updated this week when I get back to working on it. :)