Vendors in US to print oversize PDF/Pep

Discussion in 'Tips & FAQs' started by Dave Ward, Jun 8, 2012.

1. Dave Ward

Dave Ward New Member

was wondering if there is a good method to print larger 110lb cardstock.

Kinko's couldn't help, and it's annoying to have to piece together larger peices from 8 1/2x 11 sheets.

Help welcome!
  2. Zathros

Zathros Guest

I purchased an EPSON Workforce 1100 printer. I love it. You can print 13" x 19", and actually, print ages as long as you want, if you have long enough paper. I would highly recommend it. The other way is to use Photoshop, to rearrange parts so that you may not have to split them up. This is more involved though. :)
  3. Dented Rick

Dented Rick Human

and if I need to print 51" X 66"? where do I go then?
  4. PemTech

PemTech Member

When I built my Friede upscale I skipped the whole printing on stock problem. I had the rocket printed on regular paper from a plotter. Cut out the parts and glue to poster board or your fav paper and build.
  5. Zathros

Zathros Guest

I'd like to have a plotter. I don't even know anyone who does these days.
  6. PemTech

PemTech Member

Doesn't Kinkos still have them?
  7. Vince

Vince Member

Maybe someone like Fast Signs? They might have some kind of plotter.
    I just found out they carry colored card stock. Planning to pick up a few sheets and try it out.
  8. clif52

clif52 Banned

Go to a sign shop and get them to print it out on the poster printer. Its usually around 52" wide. Some shops can print to 8 feet wide. I'm in Martinsville, Va but I'm sure if you can't find a place to get it done I have friends that run a shop here that would print it out for you and ship it in a tube. I built the Epson Eagle model for them at twice size and it came out better than I expected. I had to rearrange the parts to get it into a file 52" inches wide. Go to my Facebook page for Clifton Custom Toys, Displays, & Graphics and scroll down the page and you will see photos of the Eagle. Their printer prints with solvent inks so when I got excess Elmer's glue on the print it just wiped off with a wet paper towel. The prints do have to cure about 24 hours before handling. I'd post a photo but I've never been able to get it to work.

SmallRealities likes this.
  9. mbauer

mbauer Cardstock Model designer

There are plenty of "Wide Format Printers" available today. The aren't cheap. For around a $1000 you can get a 4-color Hp Designjet 111.

You can buy used printers on eBay. That is where I bought 5-different wide format printers. Be warned, certain older printers (HP Designjet 450c, 650c, 750c etc. won't work with newer operating systems).

Presently I'm using a 6-color photo quality HP 120C that can handle 125lb Tag sheets in 24 x 36 with ease.

Backup and standy for certain projects are 2-HP 450C printers that need a updated driver to work with Windows XP. They will not work with newer operating systems.

I would not recomend the HP 120C because of it having mechanical issues, unless you know how to fix it.