Various pics-CP Rail-Canada

Ohio Transplant

Aug 19, 2005
Hey there folks. I don't gauge, nor did I ever consider myself a railroad enthusiast until my job had me high-rail spraying for weeds along the CP railway in Western Canada. The opportunity to be around all that power and steel was inspiring to say the least. I thought I'd log-in here to share some pics with you, especially after seeing the very cool aerial of Alyth Yard in Calgary, where I spent over 2 weeks spraying almost 150 miles of ballast.
If you'd like to view the unedited pictures, you can do so at

http://www.michiganmorels.com/beyond_the_morel/Railroad/

These pictures include views of the class yard and I believe N yard if I recall at Alyth, along with some views off of the Lethbridge Trestle. I think there's one of Ogden yard showing the serious vegetation problem also.
All in all it was a great experience to see alot of Canada from Edmonton south on the Leduc through Red Deer to Lethbridge and Taber, the Brooks and Maple Creek Sds. The McLeod and Alderside. Seeing the old depot at Bassano, and the yard at Medicine Hat. Working with the fellers at Gull Lake, where "Doug" shared his lunch for 2 days, Saskatchewan and then heading up to do the Lanigan and Wynyard Sds.
Most of my pilots had at least 20 years in at CPR and I always pried them for information and they all shared it freely. It was a great experience and although I was away from my family for 3 months, I miss High-Railin the CPR.

galt904

Jan 17, 2005
Beachville ON
Nice pics. What's the story behind the deer head?

Also, looks like you tried more than one brand of Canadian smokes, judging by the reflection in the windshield in several shots.

Ohio Transplant

Aug 19, 2005
thank you. The deer actually jumped out in front of me on the maple creek Sd. He met his demise there. I live in Ontario and have tried too many brands of Canadian smokes.
I moved here 5 years ago.