Variable Geometry/Swing Wing

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by Arjun, Dec 13, 2006.

1. Arjun

Arjun Member

Has anyone tried making a n aircraft with actual variable geometry/swing wing action? I want both wings to swing at the same angle, meshed internally, but I don't know if it's been done before. I've seen photos of a 1/72 model of a MiG-23 with that action. I'm thinking of using 1/120. The mechanism I have in mind is a pair of hard cardboard circles but placing (and designing the wings) is a problem. What do you suggest?
  2. rmks2000

rmks2000 Member

A simple approach is to look at the Fiddlers Green Tornado. It uses teeth on each wing to mesh against each other. It works and there is a tip on the website (scroll down) explaining how to keep the wings' 'gears' from vertically slipping apart. I've built it myself and it works fine. I created styrene rod rivets to act as the pivot pin through each wing. The rivet heads were visible on top and bottom of the wing assembly, but could be built internally also since the fuselage is split in half horizontally.
  3. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

You might as well look into the system used in plastic models, where they use a lever to connect the front of one wing to the back of another. I personally think that this is a much neater system than teeth.
  4. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

thats a great idea! A paper connecting strip. Hmmmmm food for thought.
  5. Renaud

Renaud Member