Value of a Finished Model

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by cdcoyle, Nov 22, 2005.

1. cdcoyle

cdcoyle Member

2. Well, since I've been working in a specialized cardmodel shop, the only thing I can say about it is, that we never had any offer from a client who wanted to buy one of the wagonload of finished models we had on display, and that we never had any questions from customers about availability of completed models, so to answer your question I'd say 'no market value and/or no interest in that whatsoever'. It's an entirely different story if you're building 'on demand' ofcourse.

3. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

There is a guy on ebay, I believe he designed and allows us to download his design of the flying sub and gets a few bucks either way of 10.00 I think. It's tough to say what they are worth. There isn't alot of people clamoring for our finished product. A small caution, we've been through this before, it is ethical IMHO to sell an original printed model that you have built up, but it is not ethical and I think legal either to sell scanned copies that are built up. As for ethics you yourself mentioned that alot of modelers sell thier finished wood, and plastic kits to keep thier hobbies going. We've had a discussion on this site as to whether you can sell the originals also. Do what is right, the guys that design these kits are not financing thier summer homes on the proceeds from these kits, T
  4. Darwin

Darwin Member

I think the only possible answer is "whatever the mark(et) will bear." I don't know how applicable it may be, but the general guideline in crafts (which paper models comes closest to) is sales price should be 3 to 4 times the cost of the supplies consumed in making the item. As said already, there doesn't seem to be much demand for completed models.
  5. lizzienewell

lizzienewell Member

I'm equally puzzled by this.

I've sold two models so far as fine art and charged way too low of a price.

Generally fine art priced by the size and not by time spent or cost of materials.

The price is what the market will bear but if you are unique items then their is nothing else to compare them to. You have to develop a market and try out prices. I think that cultivating relationships to art gallerys or to a specific audience may be the way to do it. Still that doesn't answer the question of how to set price.

I'm making scratch built science-fiction models that are completely of my own design. I designed the type of craft/vessel and not just a model of an existing craft/vessel. I made my two sales at a science-fiction convention.

If you are building models of existing full sized items then maybe you can sell the models to those who use the full sized items. Sell aircraft to airforce personel and sailboats to sailors. Trucks to truckers. It's a matter of identifying market. Figure out who would be interesting in buying your models and sell to them. Or find a group who might buy models and build what they would like.

6. Jim Nunn

Jim Nunn Member

Will we see you at the SMA in the near future?

Rule of thumb is that a built up wood ship model kit will sell for 10 to 20 times the cost of the kit and quite frankly I think that this is a low side.

Now let’s see the cost of a downloaded paper model * 10 is equal to . . .

One of my small armor models will require 30 to 40 hours to build if I am compensated at the level of my day job no one would pay the price. I have built models and given them away all have been treasured gifts so I think I have been well compensated.

Darwin and Lizzie have the best answer "whatever the mark(et) will bear."

Jim Nunn
  7. silverw

silverw Member

Paper Model Value

That's a tough question...

As was mentioned, it depends on whether the model in question was just put together by you, or if you designed it and built it from scratch, the latter being "worth" far least to me. Years ago, I took some classes in oil painting, and was good enough at it, that at least a few people wanted to buy them. I remember asking the instuctor how to price a painting...... her answer was that " It shouldn't hurt, to sell it!" I consider an original paper model to be a 'work of art" so I guess the same rule could be applied.

8. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

If the potential customer says 'nah, nice but no thanks' your price is too high. If he says 'Wow, I'll take 6' it's way too low. If he says 'Ooo, OK, Hmm, let me think, alright, I'll have it' You have the price just about right.

In a world where 'Artists' can make fortunes selling dead sharks or half a cow in a tank of formaldehyde, or an unmade bed, or a house filled with concrete and then all the bricks removed, or by covering an island in fabric, you would probably be better off making half the model, then selling it for $50,000. It would only take one rich jerk to see it and you'd be made......

If you're going to walk the walk, however, you will need to talk the talk. For some invaluable assistance, go to

Tim P
  9. Gil

Gil Active Member

A paper model without the paper? Just bits of glue lying about on a cut up old mat with a nicely printed white tag for title and signature.

10. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

You got it Gil! When you make your first $million, please remember who put you onto this in the first place!!

Tim P
  11. silverw

silverw Member

Hey Tim...

I think I'll call this one..."BUTTERFLYITUS"

12. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Work of Anti-Art in the Age of Mechanical Reproduction
    The matrix creates, the corporation reproduces. In the material artifice, art objects are reproductions of the creations of the matrix -- a matrix that uses the corporation as a machine to deconstruct ideas, patterns, and emotions. With the synergy of the electronic environment, the matrix is superseding a point where it will be free from the corporation to realize immersions into the machinations of the delphic artifice. Work of Anti-Art in the Age of Mechanical Reproduction contains 10 minimal quicktime engines (also refered to as "AI modules") that enable the user to make mechanistic audio/visual compositions.

measuring chains, constructing realities
    putting into place forms
    a matrix of illusion and disillusion
    a strange attracting force
    so that a seduced reality will be able to spontaneously feed on it

Silver W's work investigates the nuances of modulations through the use of fast motion and close-ups which emphasize the Mechanical nature of digital media. W explores abstract and welded scenery as motifs to describe the idea of cyber-intuitive artifice. Using metalized loops, vectors, and interactive images as patterns, W creates meditative environments which suggest the expansion of space...

See, now it is worth £50,000......

Tim P