Value of 25 Year Old Engine

Discussion in 'N / Z Scale Model Trains' started by bpatters69, Aug 5, 2003.

1. bpatters69

bpatters69 New Member

Hello folks. Brand new to the forum. I have a 20 to 25 year old N sized, locomotive that I may want to sell. Here is a picture of it:

I do not know too much about it other than the fact the train is made by Rivarossi which is an Italian company. The engine has the words Baltimore and Ohio printed on the side.

Any ideas on the value?

Thanks, Bill
  2. emacgis

emacgis New Member

Hello Bill;

The loco you have is very common and by todays standards runs
    very poorly.They are sold on eBay all the time for arround $10.00.
    My observation only. E.J.
  3. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

Welcome to "The Gauge". I'd have to agree with E.J., the standards of even the cheapest locomotives today make many of yesteryear's models less than desirable. The exceptions would be R-T-R articulateds, brass and well built customs, with the occasional metal cars put out by Arnold/Rapido in the beginning. Ebay would be your best source of information. Simply go to the "N scale" page, type in the locomotive type (looks like an E9 to me), bookmark it and then follow it for a couple of weeks to get an idea of its value. Both of my HOn30 models were built on mechanisms of long out of production N scale locomotives knowing that there was little chance of ruining a classic.
  4. scoobyloven

scoobyloven Member

on that loco does it have the pick ups that look like little nail heads on the bottom of the trucks? and is that the right box it came in? to me it looks like a old cf they almost look like an e9 but it has a little longer nose and the number boards are almost in the midle of the front and it has a little black motor made by atlas with a gear on the end that slides in to the front truck if it comes to be a running cf unit i found out it can run up wards to about 300.00 us for it i got my hands on 10 of the cf units and waiting for brushes for the motors the cf units where made in the mid to late 60's and they stoped making that kind of pick up in the mid 70's but if it is a old e9 and a good runner you should be able to get almost 50.00 - 150.00 for it from e-bay or a collector i seen a cf go for as much as 650.00 at a local train show
  5. bpatters69

bpatters69 New Member

I am not sure what you mean by "nail heads on the trucks" but the package says it is an E-8. The box on the URL is the original box. Please go back to the page and hit "refresh". I have taken a picture of th bottom of the train.

Thanks, Bill
  6. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

This makes for an interesting turn...Scooby, are you speaking of a power pick-up like a slider found on three rail or Marklin trains? Sort of a tack on a spring that slides along the rails? I know that Kadee's N scale cars can be highly collectable, one even reaching the $3,000+ mark some time back but, in thirty+ years of model railroading in both N and HO, I could never have imagined that an N scale general production locomotive could be so collectable. Thanks for the heads up, I'll make sure no E units wind up under my razor saw without a thorough background check.
  7. scoobyloven

scoobyloven Member

bill on that photo of the bottom look at the front turcks see the little thing between the wheels that is the pick up for the power from the rails now if you could get a shot of the motor it would be very helpful but if it don't run and you wanted to keep it and make it runyou would need new motor burshes it is hard to find them becouse the motor that they used at that time haven't made in almost 30 years but if you do find some get more than you need for some reason the motors eat the brushes may be that is why they stoped making them i found that the atlas motor brushes from any gp motor will work but alas has them on back order with that photo of the bottom trucks it looks to me to be made anywhere from 1960-1973 but most of the time you would see on the insert in thr boe a little printing the might look like this (11 / 67 / 5720) if you have that it would tell you the year it was made (month / year/ plant )