Value of 25 Year Old Engine

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by bpatters69, Feb 11, 2007.

1. bpatters69

bpatters69 New Member

Hello folks,

I used to have a train set as a child and I happened to stumble across the locomotive from my train set. The Locomotive was built in 1976.... sheesh. I feel old. Anyway, the wording on the side of the locomotive says, "Baltimore and Ohio". I think it is a N size and it is in good condition. Anyone have any idea what it is worth? Here is a picture of one that is similar to it:

Thanks, Bill
  2. Gil Finn

Gil Finn Active Member

Who is it made by, no way to tell otherwise.

Basicly HO and N have no collecter value like O ga Lionel or AF, Marx ect.

Thier value lies in what someone would pay for it used unless I am wrong.

Some old bras HO is worth some real money because it is high quality stuff to start with.

Good luck with the value, I am sure others here could be it down precisely.

Nice looking engine though.
  3. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

The horn hook coupler on the front tells me it's HO scale. It looks to be AHM/Rivarossi E8/9 A units. Most likely one is powered the other a dummy as that is how they were commonly sold back in the late 70s. You can easily tell as the powered one will be heavier than the dummy.

Current value would be in the $25-40 range depending on demand, they can go a little higher in an Ebay bidding war with the right buyers. AHM was not the best runner but they were decent models. They look great, wish they were on my shelf.:thumb:
  4. MilesWestern

MilesWestern Active Member

Don't mean to make you feel older, but they're 31 years old this year! :eek:

Those are indeed Rivarossi/AHM E8/9's.

Personally, I would hold onto them for sentemental value, you'll never have that little bit of your childhood ever again if you sell it. :(
  5. bpatters69

bpatters69 New Member

Thanks for all the replies

Thanks for the replies. I was not clear in my post. The image I posted is similar to my train. I know it is N type. Here is an actual image:

I also have:

Is the answer still eBay? Thanks again.
  6. jetrock

jetrock Member

The answers you're getting so far are pretty much accurate--for the locomotive, $25-40 if it is in really good mechanical condition and it runs smoothly, the cars a few bucks apiece. 31 years old is not exactly antique in the world of model railroading. They aren't old enough to be rare, unusual or collectible. Think of other plastic things produced in great quantity during the 1970s--like, say, LP copies of the "Saturday Night Fever" soundtrack or Fleetwood Mac's "Rumours." Non record collectors may assume that every vinyl LP is a priceless antique since CDs came into general use, but anyone who actually collects vinyl will tell you that there are so many copies of those records still floating around that you're lucky to sell them for $1 each, unless you find some sucker who thinks that vinyl records are incredibly rare and precious and you can scam more than $1 out of him.

Trains are the same way. There are a ton of N scale sets from the 1970s floating around, many of which are still in their original boxes on hobby shop shelves, because many were produced and they didn't sell incredibly well. If you think they're worth more than $25-40 because they were your trains when you were a kid, then keep them--they are more valuable to you in sentimental value than you could sell them for. Similarly, people won't pay more for an LP copy of "Rumours" just because it's your favorite album of all time. If you happen to get a sucker for a bidder on eBay you might get more, but odds are you'll get $25-40 on a good day for that locomotive.
  7. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

Ebay's still your answer, the price on the loco remains about the same. Test run it if at all possible to boost your final price. The crane and boom tender open to the European market will likely fetch $10-15 or more, the other cars, like Jet said, are good for $2-3 each. Some folks get squirrelly on Ebay so you can go a touch higher.