Valley NTrak corner modules

Bill Pontin

Oct 14, 2001
Milford, CT
Visit site
The club has decided to retire some old tired corner modules. Somewhere along the line we decided to make four corner modules of the same scene and do each with one of the four seasons. It was a long process of trying to make a mold and cast an entire corner with expandable foam. Many, many failures but we learned something with each failure. The end result was to just mold the mountainous terrain. We painted on a latex mold material and attempted to cast them with foam. However, we found that none of the foam materials we tried would pick up any detail. We found that painting the inside of the mold with plaster and them foaming over the plaster provided the best results. So basically the mountains and landscape would be a thin shell of plaster filled with foam. The club has no deadline on the corners so we pick away at them at different work sessions. No deadline, sure I say that now, just waiting for the hustle for the upcoming show in October. The beauty of the new corners are their light weight and compact storage. All the legs are self storing under the module and are interchangeable. No more finding leg "B1" for the marked corner of module "B" and so forth. A lot of hard work went into the old corners, but, they are tired, heavy and do not transport compactly.

Attachments

• mvc-001s.jpg
    mvc-001s.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 127

Bill Pontin

Oct 14, 2001
Milford, CT
Visit site
Work in progress - the mountain division line trestle. Note the corners have only been given a base coat of paint and no other detail other than the track and ballasting of the three main lines has been done.

Attachments

• mvc-003s.jpg
    mvc-003s.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 126

Bill Pontin

Oct 14, 2001
Milford, CT
Visit site
Several of us retirees can always find something to do on a rainy day. Here Charlie is completing the ballasting on one of the corners.

Attachments

• mvc-006s.jpg
    mvc-006s.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 125

Bill Pontin

Oct 14, 2001
Milford, CT
Visit site
Although we do not have an official club building we were fortunate to have a club member that can afford some space in his shop. This is Rich, the owner, checking to see if the trestles need any modifications.

Attachments

• mvc-010s.jpg
    mvc-010s.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 124

Bill Pontin

Oct 14, 2001
Milford, CT
Visit site
Besides cabinetry, the owner does some fantastic and museum quality work with modules and dioramas. I've posted his logging spar tree, car ferry, and McGiffert loader previously. He took several first place awards at the Winterfest 03 show. Here he is, between work, our interuptions and customers trying to complete a six foot module of Bridgeport harbor during the 1800's. Working strickly with library books, he is creating the switch yards and road swing bridge that connected Bridgeport and Stratford. He is noted for animating his works, the swing bridge will turn, cranes and ships will also be animated. Here is a picture of his module in the works.

Attachments

• mvc-007s.jpg
    mvc-007s.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 123

CSX6638

Jul 24, 2002
FLORIDA
Visit site
That's some great modeling work Bill, hope to get to see photos of Bridgeport Harbor as you progress and when it's completed. Twenty six years ago we lived in the Port Jefferson area on Long Island, I had a 36' Chris Craft that I kept in the Mt, Sinai marina and I belonged to the Yacht Club there, we spent many a weekend at the Milford Yacht club, went to the Stratford Shakespeare Theater a few times each year, is it still open? Bridgeport was like a weekend home, Mystic was an every year cruise. Sometimes I miss cruising Long Island Sound , old age memories I guess.