Discussion in 'Space & Aeronautics' started by Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett, Mar 11, 2007.

1. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett Active Member

A friend at the cape is blessing me with AS-Built Shop Drawings, and pictures of the VAB. I would love to do a model of it. The problems I have are:

1. What scale should it be? (I have a plotter, (But it needs to be able to plot/print, on 8 1/2 x 11 sheets, for group release/build)).
    2. What should the exterior livery scheme be, (I like the one from my open house tour in 76, (but does it need to be period spec., (i.e. Apollo era not Flag & Meatball)?)?
    3. Should the Crawler, & LUT be a part of the release, (He also gave me full doc's on them)?

I was also wondering if You Guys want the piping deatiled on Pad 34, (I did not include it in the last release.
  2. jparenti

jparenti Member

1. Scale is always tricky for me. I'm building a 1/48 Saturn V right now, so obviously a model can never be TOO big. :grin: I'd say, roughly, an 8.5 X 11 sheet should make about one side of the building. But I'd be happy to have the VAB in any scale.
    2. Apollo era is great. But in the futute, can't there just be an option to make it in the more modern scheme, if you feel like doing it?
    3. As far as the crawler goes, you'd be the first. I don't think anyone else has released one yet, so there's plenty of people who'd be itching to get to it (me included!). The LUT would be great, too.

Keep up the good work!
  3. Mechanic

Mechanic Member

I'm with jparenti; apollo era; you can't go too big; and anything you do would be great!
  4. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Gasp.., Blessing? Holy Moly! What a blessing!

1 and 2. Well, all I can say is, make it fit on 8 1/2" x 11" and pick a livery, then, "If you design it, they will come."

3. What a goldmine of information! I would work on this seperately and then refer back to 1 and 2.:twisted:

That would be excellent! Man you are on a roll!8)

5. Dyna-Soar

Dyna-Soar Member

One could be designed in scale with the Lhvcc Saturn V LUT kit.
  6. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

There is a launch tower and pad on
    It's only a small build though. There is a CEV and saturnV build. I have made the saturnV model. It is basic, at 1:480 scale, but it's a start.

As for which era to build the VAB, it's only one side of the building that has changed, so you could include sheets for the different era's.

Also, can I ask you what scale would you build at. The tower model on the above link is over 12 inch's.
  7. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

I will do it in 1:72

I am going to finish up final display builds on the SA-'s and the Pads today and in the morning. I then need to get them published so everyone can get copies.

I should be able to whip up the VAB this week It should not be a big deal to layout. I will provide extra sheets for the diff. time periods. I have seen the crawler that Micro-.... has been working on. I would not want to steal any thunder from that work. I guess He/She is taking time trying to get the details right. The small LUT/Saturn V on Jon's site is nice. I don't know Who the designer is. I could provide a small scale version to match it, (If the designer would approve).

My Yahoo email is down right now, (They are having server trouble). I will get files out to all who have requested, (When it comes back up).

Have a great night
  8. NYC Irish

NYC Irish Member

9. Hans Christian

Hans Christian Active Member

Looks like sir surfduke's on the verge of creating the FIRST model of KSC!!! :-D
  10. murban

murban Member

Hi friends,

Well, if you want, I could create a new section on my site to put the models there...

That model will be super-detailed and should keep you busy for a while. There will also be a LUT and a Sat V stack to go with it (all 1:96) - to be realeased for the 40th anniversary of the first lunar landing. The Sat V will have - at least that's the plan right now - optional full interior so that you could cut off some plating to see the interior details. I'm working hard on that :)

11. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

I will talk to You via email about all this. That is going to be a true work of art!!!

12. 57townsman

57townsman Member

Hey NYC Irish,
    That LUT kit looks pretty detailed in the auction pictures. What's your in-hand opinion? Was it worth the money? Might there be a build thread in our future :twisted:

13. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

My 2 cents

IMHO, after a thorough investigation of the E-Bay sale, I would say that this looks like a great kit that is well worth every penny!
    18 pages of parts, 87 pages of instructions on cd, and the tower stands over 3 feet tall! Wow!
    No one else has one like this, not one that is so jam packed with realistic details!8)

The sale says the paper weight is 28 lb but they also state that they found it to be the optimum weight paper for building this model.
    I suspect that this may be quite true as most of us know that the thinner copy paper makes for consistently tighter, neater rolling.
    Just to slightly echo Steve's sentiment, you really must do a build for us so we all know for sure that this is true!
    Come on, whatayasay, eh?:twisted:

14. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Vehicle Assembly Building

Hi Carl,

A model of the VAB would be great - how about 1:96 scale? Many models are in this scale already and it is not too big.
    If you´d want a 1:48 VAB, I suppose it would be possible to upscale it if the resolution is good enough?

Keep up the good work.
    Bengt :D
  15. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

The VAB and other Saturn support sturctures will be done after the SM, LEM, and Skylab releases. With what I have learned about My Schedule, (and test build rates), I would count on some beta build stuff being on the Moon Port site by, Mid May. I am a bit torn, as to which to do first. VAB & Pad 39a, (or go back and supply the towers to 34 & 37 projects). The idea is to have the Saturn Family with its equipment, (and later the shuttle mod's). I hate to leave holes in the timeline, (had a lot of emails about folks wanting to finish displays, too). The towers will be a easy design, (But long,detailed, build).