V2 build thread

Discussion in 'Space & Aeronautics' started by Cut 'n' Paste, Nov 18, 2007.

1. Cut 'n' Paste

Cut 'n' Paste Ex-pat

Hi, folks.

I've just begun the Currell Graphics V2 that I downloaded a while ago. It is without doubt one of the best kits I have printed out so far. Though not yet finished, I thought I'd post the progress with a few observations for the help of future builders.

The nose cone and body sections went together perfectly. The inclusion of joiner tabs in complicated sections made the assembly very easy. Tip: cut the little V sections before cutting out the joiner sections. (You'll see what I mean)

To shape the nosecone, I used a large-gauge knitting needle and piece of tough foam rubber. Pressing down with the pointed section on the reverse of the cone part, I gently "radiussed" staying at right-angles (!) to the bottom edge, (easier to do than describe), causing the card to curl into the conical shape. Interestingly, the kit contains a spare nose-cone section but this was quite easy to make, unlike the rib sections - which ought to have had spares (more later).

All the rest of the body proceeded perfectly well.

That's the main parts completed. Now for assembly.

Attached Files:

2. Cut 'n' Paste

Cut 'n' Paste Ex-pat

V2 build continued

Oops! Forgot to post the URL of the model, for anyone who doesn't know it - it's V-2 rocket

The whole body tube is assembled (the rear section is shown "dry-fitted") and now the tricky part begins.

The fins are certainly the hardest part of the model, since they have an internal rib arrangement that is there to shape the fins exactly. It's not easy to assemble these ribs. I cut out the rib template and mounted it onto a piece of balsa, then added small strips of balsa to each side of the template lines, so as to make a "jig". Holding the parts of the ribs to the edges of the jig with pins (a la balsa-model aircraft fashion) I successfully formed the rib sections.
    Alas - others may have more success with this method than I did, as I found that small imperfections in the lengths of the rib sections made it impossible to put them easily into the fin half. Also, the 120gsm card that I used, while perfect for the body tubes etc, is not strong enough for these ribs. They are just too thin to stand "upright" in position. I managed in the end (see completed fin) but it was difficult.
    My solution, therefore, has been to print out another copy of the relevant pages, and laminate these ribs to thick card, so as to make rib pieces that will stand upright and not collapse as the fin is assembled. I will post pictures and a further account of this process as I continue.

More later.

Attached Files:

3. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

Currell's V2 is one of my favourite models! I'll be following this build for sure ^^
  4. Cut 'n' Paste

Cut 'n' Paste Ex-pat

V2 cont'd

Well, the fins are done and on, and if I thought they were the tricky bit, I was wrong. It's the servo mountings at the bottom. The double curve on them, considering how small they are, is hard to achieve. The photos are a little cruel, and not very flattering to my modelling skills. A bit of cleaning up of the card edges afterwards will no doubt help.

To be continued.....

Attached Files:

5. Agt Scully

Agt Scully New Member

That looks good :)
  6. dansls1

dansls1 Member

This build is coming along nicely. ;)
  7. jaffro

jaffro Long term member

those servo mountings do look fiddly... great job nonetheless, keep up the good work.
  8. BARX2

BARX2 Member

Wow. Great work. I love that model. I have the color and black & white versions printed to build someday.
  9. Cut 'n' Paste

Cut 'n' Paste Ex-pat

V2 cont'd

Finished! The pix will be posted after I've finished touching in the card edges with a little paint, and I will also add some final comments. I also have the launch table to build. Next up is a flying version of the camo V2, with such refinements/additions as:
    • Internal rocket tube to take A-engines, plus all the engine mountings and nose cone deployment refinements
    • Balsa cores to the fins (to the same outline as the rib template)
    • Chain-drive covers made from one piece of thick card
    • Vane servo assemblies moulded into the fin bases before assembly
    • Extra internal stiffeners
    • Absence of vanes in engine cone (obviously)
    • My own launch system (I don't use tubular launch lugs as I have a rigid launch stand, not a rod)
    • A working launch table in stainless steel? (Would be great if possible!)
    This is definitely a model that you have to make twice, anyway. It's quite a difficult one, and the lessons you learn on first building it are vital. More comments later.

RG WILLIAMS New Member

V-2 Rocket

Thanks for posting the build. Ralph Currell Graphics has some very well designed models. I'am new to card models so I have a great deal to learn.
    Your model looks excellent.
  11. Cut 'n' Paste

Cut 'n' Paste Ex-pat

V2 again

Thanks for the kind words. I'm still learning after quite a while so it's best to think of the whole process as a development of skills and knowledge.

Incidentally - just been trying to build the launch table by Joseph Cangero, and I know I must have got it wrong. The instructions are... well, a bit vague. Anyone who has built it - can you help? I don't know what to do with the "pivot" parts. Are they supposed to be glued in, or moveable? The distance between upper and lower tables seems to be greater than the thickness of the "pivot" and I don't understand how they come together. All I could find was a thumbnail photo of the model, and it doesn't help.

12. Simmo

Simmo An Older Junior Member

I too enjoyed the Currell V2 build. It was one of my first builds, so I may have another go at it later. It went together very well; everything fit snuggly. Hope these piccies help with the launch table. I have no idea how it went together, but this is my interpretation. If you want some more view, just ask.

Attached Files:

13. Cut 'n' Paste

Cut 'n' Paste Ex-pat

Oh so THAT's what it's supposed to do - rotate! Bugger! Got it wrong!

14. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

Nice, never knew that table is supposed to rotate >_<... Gotta rebuild it...
  15. Cut 'n' Paste

Cut 'n' Paste Ex-pat

V2 finished (for now!)

Hi all.

Well, that's it for the time being. I've completed my first attempt at this fine model kit, but as I said, I think it's best to have another go while the things I've learned are fresh, so I may do just that.

The exhaust vanes went together relatively easily, although I substituted tiny pieces of toothpick for the attachment tubes, for added strength. (OK, I was too hamfisted to roll such tiny tubes, all right?)

To anyone making this model for the first time, I would recommend printing out an extra copy of a fin and practising first. Same goes for the servo mounts. I think that making the fin chain drive covers out of pieces of card laminated to get the right thickness might be a good idea. Fixing the fin fairings was easier than I expected. What I did was to fix the very top end (the point) in place first, which was possible because the length is perfect. When that was dry, I glued the inside of the fairing, held the bottom edge in tension with tweezers and smoothed the fairing down into place. They all went down well.

I now see what I did wrong with the launch table. I'll have another go later. It'll do for now. (I did wonder why apparently hidden parts were coloured on both sides.....)

That's all for now!

Attached Files:

16. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

Woo, nice-looking model! Great job on the exhaust vanes!
  17. BARX2

BARX2 Member

Lower your standards, man. That looks great! :)
  18. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Excellent job all the way around! This is indeed a well designed model and you've done it great justice!

19. Nando

Nando Designer Extraordinaire

outstanding job

I'm shy to compare my first attempt. Yes, Your model compels me to rebuild my V2 to get it better, with the rotating table too this time.

My compliments,

20. The Hermit

The Hermit Member

nicely done