"V" - Visitor blaster

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hello again! I'm still infected with a severe form of blaster fever and started working on the Visitor blaster from V - the original mini series from 1985 on special request from fellow member HonestinWilesBarre. This is the first model I design which is not related to BSG and Buck Rogers. I chose to do it to expand my blaster collection so that everyone of you can have something to put on display. The design is very good yet simple enough to be replicated in paper form. It looks like a melt of the BSG blaster and a traditional sidearm from Earth.

To those who do not know "V": In the mini series Aliens come to Earth pretending to establish peaceful relations. They look like humans and offer advanced technical and medical support, they are capable of healing cancer and building power plants which produce no harmful waste material. The people from Earth are completely spellbound by the promises of the Visitors and welcome everything they offer, but a small group stays critical and suspects a hidden agenda. The tension rises steadily and culminates in a scene in which a reporter played by Marc Singer reveals the secret goal of the altruistic "friends" from outer space: Their human appearance is nothing more but a mask to hide their reptilian origin and they have come to Earth for one reason only: Food!

The mini series is a clever piece of entertainment, well conceived and really scary at times (the second big moment comes when a member of the Resistance learns that she is expecting a hybrid baby!). And there are friendly Visitors, too, who become part of the Resistance. When I saw "V" for the first time I noticed that the creator carefully translated a dark chapter of Earth history into the scifi world which made everything even more frightening: The Visitors acted like a certain party in Germany in the late 1920s / early 1930s in order to gain power and oppress the population. The story ends with a cliff hanger: When a large fleet of Visitor mother ships is emerging the Resistance learns that there might be a powerful enemy in the far reaches of space who might help them in their most desperate hour and sends out a last cry for help.

Unfortunately this cliff hanger has never been resolved. We never know if mankind wins the war and what happens to the Resistance. However, this has opened the door for some good fan fiction stories. One of them deals with a very interesting premise: The Visitors are the descendants of the original organic Cylons from the classic "Battlestar Galactica". According to Galactic history the Cylons once were a race of serpents who created robots called Cyon Centurions which should make their life easier. Due to a slight error in the programming the Centurions turned against their creators and almost exterminated them 1000 years ago. The few survivors were scattered throughout the universe and fought a desperate struggle for survival. They went from one star system to another to find allies and food. During their odyssey they became ruthless and tricky in order to achieve their goals and put their food interest in the first place. When they reached Earth they accidentally found the 13th tribe of mankind - before the Galacticans, and when the Resistance transmits the "help" signal into space they do reach the powerful enemy of the Visitors: the Cylon Centurions which then set a direct course for Earth!

Here is a link to a video that shows how it would look like:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrtbWO8fnE0

And here is a first pic of the blaster in its rough state. Enjoy!:wave:

Attachments

• v1.jpg
    v1.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 23

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
I too watched "V" the series when it first came out. I was very disappointed when it ended the way that it did.

Even though it is a very simple design, I have always liked the design of this weapon and thought that it would make a good model.

I am certain that there will be quite a few very happy people once this model is released.
Thank you for taking on this project and for the video.

clif52

Banned
I know one blaster that I don't think has been done. How about the Phaser rifle from the original Star Trek series. The one Captain Kirk used in the second pilot episode. I don't think it was used again the whole series.

Clif

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sweeeeeeeeeeet.

Now do the upside down blaster from the short lived CBS 80's Sci-fi show "Otherworld".
Which one do you mean? They used almost every blaster from BSG and Buck there.:eek:

The sentry blaster to?
If you say you have a Forbidden Planet blaster up your apparently ample sleeve, you'll be guilty of manslaughter. 'Cause I'm going to perish from pure joy!

A TOS phaser rifle? I agree, that would be cool. One of the Star Trek TOS Fan Films has an interesting take on a phaser rifle I've always thought would make a cool card model. The name of the fan film escapes me at the moment.

Revell-Fan, in my book you and Uhu02 are the DaVincis' of papercraft!

S

sgoti

I had been collecting photos and whatnot to try and do this weapon, it always kept ending up on my "someday" list... :mrgreen:

I'm glad to see a much more capable person actually moving forward with this- Can't wait to see the finished product!

Wow! First the Colonial Warrior Blaster and now this! Can't wait, this looks kinda like the SMG from Halo:CE, only missing the stock. Kinda. If you hold it upside down and squint really hard.sign1

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
I finally remember the name of that Trek fan film. It's Starship Farragut.
And they have some photos of their "assault" phaser rifle on this Flickr account.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/10901121@N06/1951131889/in/photostream/

I have since found a few other phaser rifle designs based on the TOS phaser. One even claims to be based on a Matt Jefferies design proposal.

Nice find of the fan made rifle. I like the design of this one. It actually makes sense and looks like it would fit perfectly in the TOS time period. The prop designers should havecome up with something like that in the first place.

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
A small update: Modeling is officially complete. I'm determining the final size and will then start unfolding and assembling the prototype. Stay tuned!

Maverick65

Where are the pics??? :mrgreen: Cant wait to see the final build. I have all the V shows on dvd and enjoy watching it from time-to-time. It was the first prime time sci-fi mini-series that I can remember watching. Although I have to admit I haven't seen any of the newer show yet, but I will someday. Rick