Vélo mobile (especially for Mr Zathros)

Z

Zathros

Wow, I thought I had all of them!! Very nice! I have a love affair with these things. I have built a couple of recumbent bikes, one bike and one trike. Below is a picture of the trike I built. 24 Speeds, disc brakes, and rear air suspension. This trike easily cruises at 18 mph. I have toyed with the idea of making a covering for this but have decided that a dedicated purpose built enclosed velomobile would save me weight, and allow me to have a small motor, as I live in New England, and there are many many hills. :)

attachment.php

Wow, I thought I had all of them!! Very nice! I have a love affair with these things. I have built a couple of recumbent bikes, one bike and one trike. Below is a picture of the trike I built. 24 Speeds, disc brakes, and rear air suspension. This trike easily cruises at 18 mph. I have toyed with the idea of making a covering for this but have decided that a dedicated purpose built enclosed velomobile would save me weight, and allow me to have a small motor, as I live in New England, and there are many many hills. :)

attachment.php

I like it. It's really cool and clean !:wave:

Z

Zathros

I fabricated that trike from .050" wall thickness Exhaust pipe (2" diameter), the rear frame is partly from a bicycle. I strengthened the rear end by welding some pipes in. I had some aluminum so I was able to machine aluminum hubs for the plastic wheels, which are rated at 300 lbs each. I was able to press in "real" bearings, and attach the floating disc brakes. The steering bars are right down where your arms go naturally. so when you peddle the back, you are are straight down and if you take a sharp turn and raise the wheel, your natural tendency to pull in the opposite direction will pull you down. The steering knuckles are machined from a solid block of T6061 aluminum. I used Heim joints to attached the wheels. This allows me to adjust them very easily. The handlebars are an aluminum alloy, very light. The seat is from a Rans recumbent bike. It is extremely light in weight. The shock absorber was a gift.

All the components on this bike were gifted to me from Cannondale Bicycles. I showed them the bike and trike I made,and they gave me a huge, and I mean, huge, box of new/used parts, to help me with my designs. That was extremely cool of them. Cannondale Bicycles are world class.

Valmy, if you can find a model of the Mochet Velo-car listed below, that would be something!! Even good pictures, maybe I'll make one. There were quite a few variations of this design, any would do. :)

mochet+velocar.