Utility Trucks

Discussion in 'HO Scale Model Trains' started by TomPM, Nov 13, 2002.

1. TomPM

TomPM Another Fried Egg Fan

Does anyone know if there are any manufacturers who make HO Scale 1950ish or 1960ish utility company vehicles and who sells them? I am looking for vehicles that I can park near my Northern Light and Power electric plant module. I can find some modern vehicles but I cannot find any for the 50s or 60s.

If no actually makes them does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can use instead. I do already have some pick up trucks.

Also can anyone suggest figures I can use as workers for this module?
  2. Matt Probst

Matt Probst Member

Tom-- If you check out http://walthers.com and look under "Alloy Forms", "Mini Metals" and "Imex". There are some neat vehicles you could use. Also "Preiser" has a great # of figures that would be appropriate.

Let's see some pictures when your ready! :)

Matt--Hershey, Pa.
  3. jon-monon

jon-monon Active Member

Kaiser/Jeep used to target the utilities. You could try an FC

They made the CJ-6 specifically to target utility companies, but I doubt you'll find one in HO. But all you have to do is take a early CJ-5 and add an extra 20" to the wheelbase. You can even leave the seam in the body, Jeep did. If you look around that site enough, you might find a pic of my '58 :D :D :D
  4. babydot94513

babydot94513 Member in training

Someone suggested Walthers catalog and looking at the Mini Metals line. That would be my choice too and if you do find what you want, get it right away because you may lose out if you wait.

I am still looking for a 63 Ford Station wagon. I should have bought it when I found it but it is gone because I waited.
  5. moss-lake

moss-lake Member

6. TomPM

Thanks for the suggestions. I do have a substation. I have looked at various websites and the offerings for non-modern utility trucks are pretty slim. I guess I may have to venture into kitbashing or scratch building something. I hope I am ready for it.

So when I start it get ready for some more questions.
  7. tomfassett

tomfassett Member

Don't forget the possibility of kitbashing a military truck. In the 1950s and 1960s, the 2 1/2 ton Dodge (the infamous "Duce and a half") was everywhere. Many of them are still in use. A number of these were actually built from ex or surplus military vehicles. I know Salt River Project (electrical and water utility company) in Arizona still had a lot of these in the mid 1960s. Many where standard flat bed 2 1/2 ton trucks with the wood floor removed and metal plates welded on. Many had tool boxes added, winches, hoists, high reach buckets, etc, but they still looked like a repainted WWII duce and a half no matter what the utilities did to them...:D

Tom F
  8. TomPM

Thanks for reminding me about them. Now that I think about it, as a kid I remember our local utility and gas company having a few off them.