USS Voyager

ishumshark

pretty new
I am working on a model I printed from ninjatoe's papercraft website. It is from Star Trek and I am hoping that it turns out satisfactory. I will do my best to post pictures so everyone can comment and give advice.

here I have completed the lower saucer section of the ship. the outer edge strips are uneven, shown in picture three. The reason being the center support was always slightly of center, so when I glued them on, the were shifted one way or the other. Picture five shows the support. I already ripped of one edge and shifted the support once, but that produced the images you see now.

Nevertheless, I am proceeding on to the upper saucer section.

post comments and advice please! :p

Attachments

• IMG_5844.jpg
    IMG_5844.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_5845.jpg
    IMG_5845.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_5846.jpg
    IMG_5846.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_5847.jpg
    IMG_5847.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 14

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
You sure pick some hard models. It looks like it is coming along nicely! :)

ishumshark

pretty new
Well, what better way to learn and improve right? This model seems hand drawn, is that common from ninjatoe's models?

William1105

The earliest models from his site are hand drawn. This does include the majority (if not all) of the Star Trek models. And I think the Star Wars models as well. The more recent ones (like those awesome Lego figures that I need to start building) seem to be more traditionally designed.

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
They can be built though, and this is where model making comes in. You chose a place on the line to cut and you do a lot of dry fitting. The end result is a really nice ship that has a special feel to it. :)

ishumshark

pretty new
Update: I'm now working on the upper saucer details and indentations. Iv'e already finished structural supports for it. I might post pictures later.

ishumshark

pretty new
Here are the pictures:

Attachments

• IMG_5849.jpg
    IMG_5849.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_5850.jpg
    IMG_5850.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_5851.jpg
    IMG_5851.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 12

silveroxide

I Like Ninjatoes models for their simplicity. When I start on his models, I usually upload it to paintshop pro, and redo most of the lines and re work it. I also do extra panelings to add depth and the greebles. For one of his enhanced models, search for the Danube class Rubicon. I did a build thread on it, as well as other artist here. It will show what can be done with a little bit of imagination. He gives you the basic and you add the rest. Here is a photo of his enhanced Danube Class

Attachments

• 069.jpg
    069.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 15

micahrogers

Moderator "Where am I, and how did I get here?"
Staff member
Looking good, I have his E-D in my "to do list". Good luck, and keep up the good work.

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
It looks like you are off to a really good start with this project.
Keep up the good work!
I will be following this thread.

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Sounds like the rib section needs to be redone. I would cut the rib structure lengthwise so that you can slide the top half by sliding it down the lower section. At the places where they cross, you will have to cut a vertical line right in the middle so that the halves can inter mingle. Glue the top rib section to the upper half of the surface section then re-attach the sections together with enough glue to guarantee adhesion. :)

ishumshark

pretty new
I think I finally got it, Thanks for the advice, I might try it on the model if I Do it again, (Probably to make it look better!) I am now moving on to the secondary hull structure. I'll post pictures in a minute.

About the Enhanced Rubicon, I found the Rubicon on the ninjatoe's site, There is a repaint and a revamp of the original, Which of the three should I choose? Does it matter?

ishumshark

pretty new
Here are the pictures of the completed saucer:

Attachments

• IMG_5852.jpg
    IMG_5852.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_5853.jpg
    IMG_5853.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_5854.jpg
    IMG_5854.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 11

ishumshark

pretty new
Q

:wave:

I'm also curious on how people create their own models. Is a special program involved? And how do you obtain the specifics on the desired object, down the minuscule details?

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
About the Enhanced Rubicon, I found the Rubicon on the ninjatoe's site, There is a repaint and a revamp of the original, Which of the three should I choose? Does it matter?
The first one (the original one) is hand-drawn by NJ. The second one is a redraw of the first one with cleaner lines. The third one is known to be the best Runabout paper model out there with additional detail and revised structures. One of the FX artists working on DS9 was so impressed by that that he decided to share the original CG data of the ships used for the show with Paul (the man who revised the kit). If I hadn't seen the WIP pics on Paul's blog I wouldn't have believed that this was indeed a paper model. Just take a look at the three models and choose what you like best.

Millenniumfalsehood

:wave:

I'm also curious on how people create their own models. Is a special program involved? And how do you obtain the specifics on the desired object, down the minuscule details?

There are two ways you can do it. First, you can use geometry and formulas that create squares, spheres, trapezoids, etc. to create the templates, or you can create them from computer models. I prefer the latter, as it allows me to make my favorite characters and starships from video games into physical models.

To make those, I load a model with a compatible file type into Metasequoia and apply the textures, then I save it and reload it into Pepakura Designer, which allows me to make the templates. After it's loaded and the textures are reapplied, I cut it along the lines where I think it would best unfold, then unfold if and rescale it, and finally rearrange the pieces in a logical sequence on the pages.