USS Tarawa LHA1 1/200

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
gantry deck

main purpose is to give a firm basis for the flying gantries above this one next comes the wall around the edges with added spacers enough to support the flight deck which comes after that. There will be a bit of a pause while I try and find some pics of the holes in the almost hidden top of the hanger and also exactly where to mount the lift to hide the interior. I shall do what John suggested and have a large helicopter on the lift for starters.

It's good to have a couple of friends who make helpful suggestions you lose sight of silly things like me trying to work out how to fit the gantries on A4 in portrait then John sends me a pic of the flight deck and says by the way I had to put it into Landscape, how dumb can you get !

Russell yea I sit here wondering how the hell to put the hull sides on let alone the flight deck.

Kevin retired mate too much time on my hands

Koolik , Bear thanks for stopping by

Marko

Jun 1, 2007
hi there mate.
ive finally taken some time to register on forum.
nice progress here, i like it! my spee rests for now, i have too much work with those damned gearboxes, perhaps i manage to build it at evening a bit more.

regards,
Marko

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Chris and Jim thanks for stopping by as Jim Krauslis would say. Marko nice to see you here hope you will put up a few pics of Spee when you get started again.

Bowdenja

Sep 26, 2005
Madison, MS
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

barry!!!!!!!!!!!

I just printed out a test of the whole deck with the weathering............................... :-o OMG!!!!!!!!!

Pictures do not do justice to the size of this master piece you are designing and showing everybody!

OK.............. When this goes on sale.......... the line forms behind ME!:grin:

john

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
More girders

Not interesting but necessary the formers are thin and the addition of a rightangle stiffener strengthens the joint and gives a better gluing area. I prefer this method to laying the card over the top of the formers.

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Copiague, Long Island, New York
Great seeing you back at it, bazzer!

And with photos!! No small feat, mate.:mrgreen:

I'm really looking forward to seeing you at the point of adding John's highly detailed and artistic deck to the hull...I guarantee folks here will be blowed away...absolutely!

Keep at it, mate!

Cheers!
Jim

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Stern dock

Needed a lot of L sections to pull this lot straight but it seems to have worked it may not look much but it's given me a bit of confidence again if was starting again I would have built it as 5 seperate pieces and in thicker cardboard.

Sorry Jim but logic tells me that the next step after the after deck is glued down is the underwater sections otherwise I will make a right mess of John's flight deck turning it upside down.

I have got to paint the starboard side of the lower hull with rust as well.

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Hull up to hanger deck

Last picture tonight. Waterline hull is finished as the Flight deck is treated as a very large deck house. Now sitting under the usual load of heavy books which will hopefully keep it free from warping

The second picture is for John it's stood against a standard door

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Wotcher, bazzer!

That view against the door is VERY impressive! Once again, we see how huge this model actually is...HUGE!!

Keep at it, mate! And thanks for posting update photos; you are making very rapid progress with her.

Cheers!
Jim

Bowdenja

Sep 26, 2005
Madison, MS
:thumb:Thanks Barry! I got a giggle out of that.

The scoop is I told Barry that even though he has posted some great pictures, I did not feel you guys were getting the actual scale of this beastie!

I know I did not until after I printed out the deck parts and glued them up.

If this one doesn't get the "That is PAPER!" remark, nothing ever will!

This thing is a testament to Barry's design skills!

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
HUll side weathering

Hi All need some help especially from my paint guru John.

Does this look somewhere near right I'm trying to copy the pic of Tarawa

My apologies if I have broken someones copyright

Barry:
I have been folllowing your Tarawa build thread with great interest.

You are, IMHO, doing a great job.

Any shade of "haze grey" ought to do: remember that these ships were constantly being repainted....To match the photo, tho, I'd add a bit of pure chromatic white to your PShop mix.

Regards from Canada,
Jim

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Underwater hull start

Hi All

Just a test run had to stop I absentmindedly set slots in the aft keel spine upside down and I have lost a couple of bits as well. It's getting quite large now I suppose the next thing after plating will be a stand to hold it straight or maybe 2 stands. She beginning to come together now.

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
funny shaped bit

Hey Jim you know that funny shaped bit that makes the bow flare well it fits here. Just tacked on with bluetack.

Bowdenja

Sep 26, 2005
Madison, MS
:thumb:barry!:thumb:

The weathering looks GREAT! No worry on the copywright that was a US Navy photo that as long as you're not using the picture in a book or something you are OK.

The hull pieces are going together fantastically! This come from good design!

Keep the pics comming!

john

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Wotcher, bazzer!

Looks to me like you have that hull plating for the bow dead on, mate! It lines up plumb with the former, just like you unfolded it to fit.

The weathering looks great. I wouldn't have imagined you would see much weathering on an active US Navy ship, but the photo you posted shows a bit of rust along the waterline plate seams...and your part replicates those rust spots superbly.

Keep at it mate, the hull is coming together quite nicely!

Cheers!
Jim