USS Tarawa LHA1 1/200

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Wet Dock

I measured carefully all the holes that needed to be cut out to take this large lump which uses up 3 sheets of A4 80gsm a hell of a lot less using A3 card. Having carefully(?) butt jointed the whole thing I offered it up to the formers, just a tad too tall got my sanding bits out then realised it was easier to cut through the tops of the formers place the dock and glue the formers back together I suppose that is NOT thinking ahead. Still needs gluing in.

I hope I have managed enough of a 3d effect on the ship frames showing inside the dock bearing in mind there will be 2 hovercraft parked in there.A comment would be appreciated.

Carl it's currently sitting on a plank between 2 cupboards.

Bowdenja

Sep 26, 2005
Madison, MS
OK barry............... are you going to design/build the hovercraft also?

You do have a daunting task ahead!

Most pictures of the wet deck I've see show it to be a dark place, not sure if it's the lighting or what, but when you get that thing build with the hovercraft in the well, I'll personally come whack upside the head anyone who gives you a bad comment about the walls!:grin:

Looks pretty good as they are!

john

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
dock

Thanks John I shall just leave it as is and yes I intend to do all the choppers and the Harriers and what I would Alighters if I can get some drawings from them.

Kooklik I shall look forward to your surface ship

cmdr both metasequoia and pepakura are free just type the names into the net search engine, however meta does not come with the addon to merge two parts into each other and Pepakura does not save your file until you buy the updates which are very cheap

cmdrBarry,
You can get Pepakura Designer Shareware here
http://www.tamasoft.co.jp/pepakura-en/
You can also get Pepakura Viewer for just looking and printing of files created with Pepakura.
Also right above the download button on the menu is Pepakura Gallery where you can see and download lots of free models made with Pepakura.
There are two galleries, Japanese and English, so be sure to visit both for lots of great models.8)

Russell

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Tarawa pics

Hi John

Thanks for the pics I was getting carried away by your deck pictures then I suddenly thought what skid marks if any do vertical takeoff aircraft make. Mainly because the deck will be pretty featureless apart from the lines and standings markers thought it might be fun to put a few oil stains down.

It's probably beyond my skills with photoshop but hey ctrl/Z is always there

Bowdenja

Sep 26, 2005
Madison, MS
I would like to help with that, if you do not mind.

The picture of the USS Saipan show a pretty standard wear pattern. Also I have some more pictures that show somew tire marks and stain patterns, so I can email you some if you would like. Just let me know.

john

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Deck stains

Hi John

That would be a real help mate the last picture of Tarawa shows how much the deck frames show up lengthwise as well which I did nor realise.

regards

Bowdenja

Sep 26, 2005
Madison, MS
I think the angle and lighting have a lot to do with the deck seams showing up. So there is some leaway as to how much you would want to show. I've got pictures of the USS Saipan that show them and others do not(like the overhead shot posted)

Also it depends on how "clean" or un-used you want the deck to look like. That picture of the USS Tarawa looks very fresh with no weathering.

john

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
more hull frames

Sorry but this beast is actually ALL hull, I decided to add some more frames mainly to stop the deck sagging not really for strength. The wet dock is now free from warps but the two aft deck plates will be scrapped looks like I got the grain wrong.

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Copiague, Long Island, New York
Wotcher, bazzer!

Minor setbacks, if that, mate!

I've yet to see you fail to overcome ANY minor problem in your designs and am very confident you will see this one through to it's marvelous conclusion as well...honestly, I don't see the glitches here at all...surely nothing that you can't overcome. I've got to say, that is a beautiful looking hull!

There are some pics of perhaps not this specific ship but similar vessels showing the appearance of the deck in general here:
http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ship/lhd-1.htm
and here:
http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ship/lph-2.htm
Then there are pictures of this ship here:
http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ship/lha-1.htm

Admittedly, they are at a sharp angle, but perhaps they might be of some help.

Beautiful work, bazzer...keep at it!!

Cheers!
Jim