USS Tarawa LHA1 1/200

Discussion in 'Ship & Watercraft Models' started by barry, Jan 19, 2007.

1. barry

barry Active Member

more rails

Used up my current batch of rails have to make some more tomorrow a gently mindless pastime.

thanks Elb

Attached Files:

2. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

The more I see of your build, the more flashbacks I get of seeing her tied up to the pier. Great job.:thumb:
  3. barry

barry Active Member

the awkward bits

Managed the awkward bits reasonably well. The top masts will have to wait to the end otherwise I will knock them off.

Thanks for the kind words Elb and CJ

Attached Files:

4. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

Very nice. I'm really enjoying this.:thumb:
  5. Those rails really add an extra dimension to the model. It's the little details that give the sense of scale. I think I saw the USS Saipan(?) at the Trafalagar review, dwarfing every other ship there and a most impressive sight.

Keep going Barry! You are nearly home and dry!

And I won't ask what's next.:twisted:
  6. eibwarrior

eibwarrior Member

Those are some very neat and clean platforms Barry. I'm beginning to think that you must see scratch-built handrails in your sleep. :)

The detailing on a model this size is a real bear! Keep up the great work.
  7. barry

barry Active Member

Safety nets

Awkward things made out of metalised Christmas ribbon originally gold coloured.

A sort of solder rails, spray rails, stick on the gold ribbon, spray again chop off the excess ribbon a lot easier when it has been painted. Not in the mood to move the model safely so they are just laid on the deck.

Attached Files:

8. airbob

airbob Member

This thread has been most exhilarating to follow!!!....please continue to post these amazing pictures of your most excellent progress on this monster!!!
    Three thumbs up for you, old man!:thumb::thumb::thumb:
  9. jaffro

jaffro Long term member

Wow, that's really coming together nicely Barry, the countless hours spent on little details is really paying off bigtime!
  10. yaniv

yaniv Active Member

i like the heli's so mach

2-3 weeks ago BOSH as come to srael and every day we see this helis in the sky
    one of the best pic i see its 2 israeli black howk in the front and after them 6 see kings like this on your ship

good work ma kip going :)
  11. barry

barry Active Member

Shafts and rudders

Hope I don't knock them off props next my pet hate

A belated thanks for the kind words

Attached Files:

12. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

Looks great! From the last time I checked... It looks like it is near completion already o_O...... May I ask how far with detail are you going to go Barry?
  13. airbob

airbob Member

That looks real clean and most excellent! Cheero! old man!:thumb::thumb::thumb:
  14. barry

barry Active Member

thank you chaps

Lex there are at least 90 liferafts yet and a fair few radar bits yet etc
  15. barry

barry Active Member

stern view

just more bits of wire have to make some more netting prototype launch and the start of the liferafts

Attached Files:

16. barry

barry Active Member

Foremast rear radar

Foremast radar array 25swg and stiffend cotton horn should be a full lattice but this has to suffice

Attached Files:

17. jaffro

jaffro Long term member

very nice barry... looks like she's getting awfully close to launch there..

I love that radar, did you use solder or glue to hold the wires together? Those life rafts look great too.
  18. Fishcarver

Fishcarver Active Member

Absolutely superb!

I have learned much from you, mi amigo!

19. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

Wow. It's amazing the amount of detail that you put into your builds and it's all scratch built. I'll say it again, Amazing.
  20. lriera

lriera Member

I like very much how you are doing it. Also I am learning a lot with your build.

Thank you.