USS Sulaco / Aliens

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Alien99, Feb 1, 2009.

1. Alien99

Alien99 Papercraft Member

a little progress...four new pages of new structures :mrgreen:

and allmost together:

completed with the pylon

all of you allready know what it is:mrgreen:...the Droship hangar section:twisted:

there will be addon with the opened door and the pressure chamber the future
    like this tunnel:twisted:
    ....more pics next time.:p
  2. bigfan

bigfan New Member

If that little Recess is what I think it is, that is one tiny frickin' tunnel. Great attention to detail, Jan!
  3. marciu11

marciu11 Member

4. asmick

asmick New Member

I have been following this WIP for some time and every update makes me giddy. I can see this being my winter break isolation build if its ready in time. I would just like to know the estimates on materials, type of paper and such. Ill admit im a total newbie to paper craft but the work is well worth the time and its peacful and gratifying.

I hope you continue to work at it. i Also joined the designers folding@home team to show support.
  5. jakub08

jakub08 New Member

Great work. I hope you finish it soon. It's fantastic paper model.
  6. Ushi

Ushi New Member

I started to visit Zealot forum regularly because of this thread, and of course this absolutely amazing model. Hoping to see finished model soon, as well as looking forward to see ready printsheets :mrgreen:

Really awesome job, Jan. :thumb:
  7. MurdocMurloc

MurdocMurloc New Member

44 pages of replies and more than a year of cockteasing by aliens99, surely the release must be near?
  8. Bigtiime

Bigtiime Member

patience my young padawan . .
  9. oriod01

oriod01 Member

The Most Highly Anticipated Model of All Time!

I think we all die a little each day longer that we wait with bated breath for this one. I am about to drown in my own drool, I know, it's not pretty... But you can't rush perfection... and you will not find a more perfect papercraft... EVER. So don't rush the hands of a master sculptor. I'm guessing (just guessing, hoping) within the next 6 weeks. It may sound like a long time, but it is more than worth the wait, and remember I said 'within'. :p
  10. Beork

Beork New Member

Dang, I'm in love with paper now.... the details are amazing.

I can't imagine how you can find the time to make it...
  11. KGC

KGC Member

New update?
  12. oriod01

oriod01 Member

I think this is what you would call the calm before the storm. :mrgreen:
  13. I hope that the internet lines will not melt when all the downloading will start, all over the world...
  14. Vortex_4200

Vortex_4200 Member

You never know.... we may be the ones to bring a total collapse of the internet and the civlized world..... maybe I'd better stock up on paper and ink before that happens!
  15. irjvik

irjvik New Member

Hey guys, Alien99 is doing a great work, it's a professional quality one.
    This means also heavy workload too, designing a such papercraft means hours of work.
    And we have just to wait, so at least please respect his timetable.
  16. SEBRET

SEBRET Member

I'd Say that's exactly what they are doing. All I see in these update request posts is a sense of awe and respect for this project. The masses have been been moved by Alien99 and are begging for an Encore. This seems like something that would help keep a designer on track. If no one bothered me about my projects, I wouldn't feel as compelled to press on, but that's just me.

As always, Can't wait till the chosen day. Keep it up Alien99
  17. oriod01

oriod01 Member

The Church of Jan

Yes, don't misunderstand, we all know what a massive undertaking designing a model like this is. Not to mention what an incredible gesture of kindness it is to share such hard work and talent freely with the world.

The comments in this thread that may seem like impatient pestering, are really more reverence and our mocking our own giddy anticipation for what will surely stand as one of the greatest masterpieces in papercraft, ever. Most of us have watched this from the very beginning with nothing but awe, admiration, and respect. We all look for updates or just conversation about it, in order to continue to feel connected to it. Most of us would probably agree that the release of this model is THE event of the year in papercraft.

Jan Rukr (along with uhu02) is one of very few designers who are held with such reverence. Welcome to the Church of Jan! :wave:
  18. Ing. Spendlik

Ing. Spendlik Member

Dear all,

you have to take into consideration also another aspect of creating and designing a paper models. When you are creating such a great model which definitely needs more than month to be created, you need sometimes breaks. Sometimes break means another model, sometimes break means something totally different then paper models. If you are working only on one project it will take further more time to create it.

I know he has lot of projects in his head (e.g. Renovatio boat which was resurrected according to my information) and we hope most of them will see the daylight :) Jan is also cooperating with ABC (Czech magazine for young people). Some of his small models were published in this magazine and I know there are more to come. So he is very busy man, so please be patient.

I have to say that talking to Jan and Tata on irregular basis over chat is very inspiring. Every time when we are talking about hobby we like, about ideas on new models or just some general discussions about is like someone kicks you and you are full energy to continue on your projects. It is the same with discussion forums. Support of people, positive comments, constructive critisism or just short comments about model you are creating are pushing you forward.

19. oriod01

oriod01 Member

The list of considerations also include the fact that when a designer finishes designing and building a model, (at least with Jan) it must be 'packaged' for the masses. Things like organizing the pages and creating instructions, which can be time-consuming itself.

Again let me reiterate to anyone who may feel that many here are behaving impatiently, it is not that at all. It is just another form of flattery, showing Jan how much immense anticipation there is for his work, as well as sharing that anticipation with each other. It can be likened to the line of people who camp outside a movie theater in anticipation for the next Star Wars film, who stay up all night talking about how they 'can't wait'. I think most understand that although Jan may have finished building it, it is not finished as a consumable 'product'. It could easily be a month or more before we have access to this masterpiece, and that is just fine.
  20. Tirick

Tirick Member

Man I hate that part; almost as frustrating as making/tweaking textures.

Jan's skill is nothing short of genius. I wish I had even half his discipline with designing.