USS Sulaco / Aliens

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Alien99, Feb 1, 2009.

1. Hot4Darmat

Hot4Darmat Member

Modelnutz: No worries man. We all get cranky from time to time. I understand your impatience, too, as this is just such a sweet model.

Seriously: AoL? I didn't even know they were still doing business. Goes to show what I know. I just thought they were junk mail spammers from the late 90s and early 2000s filling up landfill sites worldwide with CD ROMs they mailed to everyone who had a fixed address, but no one wanted. I guess that strategy seems to have worked for them.

Lets move on and keep this thread focused on the sweetness that is Mr. Rukr's amazing model.
  2. luciencarroll

luciencarroll Grand Poobah

i hear that, back to drooling
  3. Millenniumfalsehood

Millenniumfalsehood Active Member

No, they're not in landfills, they're being used for fish-shaped wall decorations. :wink:
  4. jeanma

jeanma New Member

i did it too :oops:
    i see how i progress since my first dropship few years ago. Today, when i watch the old one, it seems really bad.
    thank you Jan :thumb:

ARMORMAN Guest

Landfills? I was going to make retro 70's style door beads with mine....
  6. Tars

Tars Member

So here's mine! Although I'll probably not be able to build the Sulaco since the two of us wouldn't fit into my flat at the same time ;)
    Had to do some extensive edge covering and discovered that a whiteboard marker is excellent for that, since you can wipe the black off the colour laser printed surface and it stays only on the white spots.
    It's really cute I think :D

Attached Files:

7. Alien99

Alien99 Papercraft Member

I see that the discussion here has its own life :mrgreen:...
    Nice ships BTW....

Ive done little progress....
    some details added...

both sides finished....:p

more soon....:thumb:
  8. davitch

davitch Member

The textures are just amazing on this model. Great work!
  9. Hot4Darmat

Hot4Darmat Member

Gorgeous, Jan. I haven't been this excited to build a model since....since, well, since just before uhu released his Discovery. These are great times to be a paper modeler.

It seems like we have a mini cheyenne club going here. Ya gotta post a photo of your build to become an elite member!
  10. Paladin

Paladin Member

This is for those of you who wondered about an APC for the 1:430 scale dropship!!
    Just in case anyone is interested, I printed out the APC at about 1/12 the original size, along with 3 of the pages for the larger dropship. I used parts of the larger dropship in order to add the ramp, and extended landing gear. It works pretty good. The parts I printed out are a hair larger in scale than the 1:430 scale dropship Jan created for us.
    And no, I did not do the interior of the dropship. I do have my limits people.:eek:

Attached Files:

11. Hot4Darmat

Hot4Darmat Member

Wow! OK, I think we have a winner. You're officially a super-elite club member. That's amazing. The additional details (ram scoops, pitot tube and landing gear) really look incredible. I'm really impressed by your skills, and a little concerned about your mental health ;)
  12. Paladin

Paladin Member

Thanks, I'll be sure to tell my psychiatrist:p
    Here is that first pix again, sorry I couldn't get the marines in the picture, but they said they won't come out unless I stop using the flash on my camerasign1.

Attached Files:

13. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

Mommy... Where do baby APC's come from???
  14. davitch

davitch Member

Yes! I knew somebody would do it! the hell did you do it!?!?!?
  15. Paladin

Paladin Member

Well, I printed my APC out at about 1/12th the regular print size. I also printed the extra "detail" parts for the dropship the same way. I did what I could between my printer setup, and adobe setup to get a size that was compatible. I couldn't say this would work for everyone, but you get the idea. I often do this by first printing on regular paper, so as not to waste cardstock. Basically, I printed out the APC, varying the output size until the "chassis of the APC was just a tad smaller than the ramp on the 1:430 scale dropship. I did the same for the "detail" parts, using the ramp from the larger scale dropship, I printed the page out until the large scale ramp matched the 1:430 scale dropship. Note: they are very close, but not exact.

The APC was not really all that difficult since there aren't that many parts.
  16. davitch

davitch Member

Next we will see one with the missile pods deployed...(hint) :)
  17. Simmo

Simmo An Older Junior Member

Yeah, but you did the interior of the APC, didn't you?? :mrgreen:
  18. luciencarroll

sweet, now once the sulaco is done we can add in a cut/away (or just pop in apeace of plexy) for the loading/drop bay.... brain seizing
    now shrink the power loader hehehe
  19. luciencarroll

your all amazing..... i promised myself i would not cry but this is such a special thread...... excuse me
  20. davitch

davitch Member

here is a tissue man...