USS Spruance 1/200th

barry

Cleaning up the superstructure

Added the overlay to cover up my inability to produce perfect square boxes there are no joins on the real ship. I am reasonably pleased with the result, pity the flash is cruel about slightly off colours. While I was at it I filled in the aft deck walls. Nothing spectacular but it changes the appearance quite a lot it still needs all the vent pipes and conduits to break up the flat walls.

barry

Bits and pieces

Managed to almost fix the colour on the side walls of the deckhouses and added the missile tubes and fire control midships. After seeing Jim's pic of Spruance showing the fore gun turret I revamped the design and tried to take a picture of the model from the same angle I think it worked.

by the way is anyone else having trouble with image shack pics or is it just me ?

Attachments

• P1010304.JPG
    P1010304.JPG
    42.9 KB · Views: 50
  • P1010305.JPG
    P1010305.JPG
    55.2 KB · Views: 36
  • P1010306.JPG
    P1010306.JPG
    48.8 KB · Views: 41

barry

radars

Commonsense says I should use a nice plastic bead for the radome, bloody mindedness says make it out of cardboard I will decide after it has had another coat of paint or two. Inside it's coated in enough pva to make it bomb proof and stuffed with tissue paper, a bit more sanding is needed also.

Time to start on the deck gear now the ladders are allready driving me up the wall got a little pile of scrunched steps so far. The guns are a possibly a bit over simplified I think putting the folds in without scoring would add the missing curves apart from the two at the front.

i gave the underwater hull another coat of paint after a light sanding it seems to have helped.

Believe it or not the aft mast has had 4 coats of paint so far and the white still grins through.

@Clashster

Thank you for the kind words maybe later I will show you the cheat.

regards

Attachments

• P1010308.JPG
    P1010308.JPG
    50.6 KB · Views: 31
  • P1010309.JPG
    P1010309.JPG
    68.3 KB · Views: 29
  • P1010310.JPG
    P1010310.JPG
    61.8 KB · Views: 30
  • P1010311.JPG
    P1010311.JPG
    60.7 KB · Views: 29
  • P1010312.JPG
    P1010312.JPG
    56.9 KB · Views: 29

Clashster

Thank you for the kind words maybe later I will show you the cheat.

Let's hope so! I need all the help I can get!!! :twisted:

But seriously.... Again, love to see the pictures of your build. Looks great... I hope to get the nerve up for a big build like this (currently building GreMir's Novgorod - not too big or eating up all my time consuming! :grin: )

barry

Radars

My attempt at the main radar dish on the aft mast, no it isn't painted cos I shall probably make a total mess of it and the mesh will disappear or the whole lot will fall off. That would not be a bad thing I've glued the dish on upside down amazing what you see in a photograph.

the boats a bit of a barge at the moment and there is a ton of touching up to do.

Attachments

• PIC_00096.jpg
    PIC_00096.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 29
  • P1010319.JPG
    P1010319.JPG
    68 KB · Views: 26
  • P1010321.JPG
    P1010321.JPG
    45.8 KB · Views: 28

barry

bits

Not much progress really but you can see the steps and some sort of weird pole array must be heavy in has enough cantilever brackets under it. I have added the funny boat derrick but I can't figure out where the winch drum is so I suppose it must be down at boat deck level. added some trunking but it still needs more bits to break up the surfaces

Attachments

• P1010365.JPG
    P1010365.JPG
    59.1 KB · Views: 25
  • P1010366.JPG
    P1010366.JPG
    43.5 KB · Views: 26
  • P1010367.JPG
    P1010367.JPG
    42 KB · Views: 29

Jim Krauzlis

Wotcher, bazzer!

Bit by bit, she's coming together rather fabulously!
I think that double shaft object on the transom is an antennae array, but I don't know what type or why it is so large.
Davit came out very well, as did all those little bits you added since the last post.

Keep at it, mate!

Cheers!
Jim

barry

rails

Just for a change had some railing extra to what I need for Norfolk so I added a couple of strips to see if it improved the looks. I've decide to move her forward just a little bit in time so I can add a set of bins on the top side which is blank at the moment. Hands must have been feeling good when I soldered this lot.

Attachments

• P1010371.JPG
    P1010371.JPG
    86 KB · Views: 199

Clashster

I like the look it adds, Barry! I put aside one of my builds because I couldn't produce any railings that I liked... So I ordered some. They weren't quite right, so back to the drawing board. Love to see some nice ones finished. Soldered them, huh? Guess I will have to get a soldering gun and some solder and give that a try! Thanks for the update!

Chris

Jim Krauzlis

Well, I think it's pretty clear the railings worked very well, but I thought she looked superb to begin with, mate.:grin:

I really like the way the phalanx gun came out, a very nice study in detail.

Your hands are magic, bazzer.

Cheers!
Jim

barry

more rails

Fingers are still working managing to knock out about 4 sets of rails a day at the moment:) not very exciting really. Tried a spare section on the foremast doesn't look too bulky

Attachments

• P1010389.JPG
    P1010389.JPG
    106.7 KB · Views: 40
  • P1010391.JPG
    P1010391.JPG
    108.2 KB · Views: 35

Jim Krauzlis

Wotcher, bazzer!:)

While it might seem to you that it's a bit tedious to make the rails, it does make a big difference in how she looks...and it is certainly exciting to us to see any update on this beautiful lady.

Keep at it, mate!

Cheers!
Jim

barry

Mast tops

Just adding rails, the upper platforms are coming off to do this job far too awkward on the masts, for me anyway. You really need to able to bend the wire around the platform in one go. They are pretty fragile fabrications.

Attachments

• P1010414.JPG
    P1010414.JPG
    42.8 KB · Views: 58
  • P1010415.JPG
    P1010415.JPG
    55.6 KB · Views: 52
  • P1010416.JPG
    P1010416.JPG
    107.6 KB · Views: 35

Jim Krauzlis

Bit by bit, railing by railing, your masterful creation gets better and better....

Keep those updates coming, mate!

Cheers!
Jim

barry

American Navy Whalers

Jim Krauslis kindly found me a load of references but I would like to ask the ex USN members has this caught the look of one I know it lacks the "pulpit" for the helmsman but other than that. I have been trying for weeks to get it right.

Thanks in advance

regards

Attachments

• PIC_00097.jpg
    PIC_00097.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 119
Barry, still good work on those upper platforms. Those scratch-built rails can be tough. You to them well. I've got to take the plunge one day and give them a try.

barry

mast heads

Mast railings complete :)

Attachments

• P1010466.JPG
    P1010466.JPG
    64.1 KB · Views: 28
  • P1010468.JPG
    P1010468.JPG
    54.4 KB · Views: 23

Jim Krauzlis

Well, you have again shown us why you are the master of the rails...they came out great!

Still can't believe how big this one is, mate.

Great job, as always!

Cheers!
Jim