USS Reliant

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by UKXK189, Nov 4, 2010.

1. UKXK189

UKXK189 New Member

I decided to try my hand at the Reliant build, as it is my favorite Star Trek ship design. I downloaded the pdf files and printed them out, but forgot that earlier in the day I had set the printer to "poster" mode for my son's school project. So, instead of printing out 5 pages of parts, it enlarged the size so that each page of parts now printed out on 4 pages, leaving me with 20 pages of enlarged parts with most of the individual parts being divided across 2 or more pages. I decided to give it a go anyway, thinking that bigger is better. It has turned out to be a pain, but it is almost complete. I will post pics of the super sized Reliant as it currently sits when I get home tonight. It's not as physically large as some of the builds I have seen on here, but I would estimate it is already a good 18 inches or more in length without the warp nacelles attached.

It's only my third model, so it's not the prettiest thing, and the fact that a lot of parts are made from 2 or more pieces of paper makes it look kind of like a patchwork quilt, but I figured you all could get a chuckle out of a newb's mistake. :oops:

2. UKXK189

UKXK189 New Member

I measured it, it's 12 inches long by 9 inches wide. So, not quite the 18 inches I was thinking at work earlier today.
  3. g00se

g00se New Member

Looks great! Nice job :) Can't wait to see the finished model.
  4. bonq

bonq New Member

Looks very good, but can you post photo in larger resolution? then I can see more details
  5. LtStatictheFox

LtStatictheFox New Member

Looks very good.
  6. sjsquirrel

sjsquirrel Member

Could be worse

It could be worse UK - early in my modelling career I accidently printed an already small model at half size. It seemed really difficult to build,and it wasn't until I had it all finished that I discovered my mistake.

Your Reliant looks really good in the photos you've posted. I'd love to see some higher res pics as well. Keep up the good work and I look forward to seeing the finished product.

7. UKXK189

UKXK189 New Member

This model is complete and currently sitting on a shelf in my bedroom. Once i got the "roll bar" and nacelles attached, I noticed just how bad of a job I had truly done. When placed so the nacelles are parallel with a flat surface, the saucer section droops down considerably. When placed so the saucer section is level with a flat surface, the nacelles droop badly. The droop is not from lack of support, it's because I somehow managed to build a curve into the design. I can post pics when I get home from work tonight. I have since completed another build of a Battletech/Robotech/Macross Marauder/Zentraidi Officer Pod that I feel went very well. I will post those pics in a separate thread.

8. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

Still looks pretty darn good to me.

Building large size models brings its own set of challenges, believe me, I know.

If I were you, I'd give it a second shot and use some foam core board to shore up the main hull and remove that curve. It's easy to work with, light, and gives fantastic support.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2014
  9. thokamous

thokamous New Member

you say this is only your third build?! thats awesome!!
  10. vipers7

vipers7 Member

great build, especially considering that this is your third built. Also very good hint is the use of foam as support. I never thought of that.:thumb:
  11. Rapidtox

Rapidtox Member

Great job, congratulations.
  12. MAGI

MAGI Member

What a great build.

Thanks for posting it.
  13. Vortex_4200

Vortex_4200 Member

awesome work, not bad for a mistake :mrgreen:

Couldn't do that with a plastic kit! Nice work!