USS MISSOURI (BB-63)

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Are you going to do them both togrther then, it least it would save you having to decide which one to do first

barry

jrts

Mar 12, 2004
St Helehs, England
Hi Barry

For shure both at the same time.
Jim would never talk to me again if I left Missouri out of it :lol:

I just like to have afew on the go at the same time, while the glue on one drys I batter the other :roll:

Regards

Rob

jrts

Mar 12, 2004
St Helehs, England
Hi all

Just a quick note

The hull had been constructed as per the instructions and I have found that the hull if plated as it stands now will not support the hull plates :shock:
Not enough support has been designed in to this so I have removed the platting already done and some major reinforcement will have to be done before I go on with the hull. I will post the photos of this tomorrow.

Anyone who wants or has this kit to build make shure you have a very large stock of card, it eats it up the two decks shown have 48 sheets of A4 in them never mind the formers :shock:

Regards

Rob

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
A bit of geodetic construction then. I think I will give this one a miss and watch yours instead. Still fancy building Prince of Wales though.

barry

jrts

Mar 12, 2004
St Helehs, England
Hi all

After going back to the drawing board this is what I have come up with.

I will let the glue go off over night and start to do the plates again tomorrow :roll:

When this model is complete I think if she had been picked up without support her back would have snapped. The hull will carry a lot of weight when finished.

More tomorrow

Regards

Rob

jrts

Mar 12, 2004
St Helehs, England
Hi all

Started to skin the hull.

The fit for the plates was not very good at all so some bashing had to be done and it will require a paint job to finish.

In the photos it looks a mess but its smooth and will come out fine when painted. I will put an undercoat on tomorrow and fit the props then the top coat to finish it :roll:

More then

Regards

Rob

jrts

Mar 12, 2004
St Helehs, England
Hi all

Here we go with the next destruction report :lol:

First a point for the guys and girls who don't usually work with heavy card stock 1-2mm or bigger.
When it comes to forming the flare on the bows or stern it must be remembered to shave the deck and frames to allow the side plates to fit snugg up against the deck.
The larger the flare the greater the angle that will have to be shaved off to make it fit tight and give the best glue area. As the plate goes from the bows to the straight sides plates the angle will reduce. It will need to be test fitted as you go, you can always take more off but dam hard to put it back later :lol:

If you don't do this sharp angles will show through the hull and side plates :cry:

Next

jrts

Mar 12, 2004
St Helehs, England
In the last set of photos the plates are just scans of the originals in the kit.
The side plates fitted great, but the hull plates needed a bit of work to get them to fit. Hull plate seven in the kit did not fit at all if you had it right on one side it had a 5mm gap on the other :shock:

More tomorrow off now to do some work on Arizona :lol:

Regards

Rob

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Rob

Thanks once again for the lesson I'm not sure I could manage 2 mm hull sides, must admit they look great when finished. Spent most of the night sanding Fuso's bow plate I will know in a little while if it worked.

barry

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Copiague, Long Island, New York
Rob, thanks for all the great photos! :D

Good point about the thicker stuff. I will have to remember that when I start the next build.

I just love that distinctive curved bow! She's coming along so very, very well, mate. :D

Jim

jrts

Mar 12, 2004
St Helehs, England
Hi all

While waiting for paint to dry on Arizona I looked again at the Missouri kit.
After looking and looking at it you know something is wrong but can't put your finger on it (even though it stands out like a sore thumb).

So I had a go at the port holes in Scorpio style after putting in the copper rings I covered them in PVA Swinger style. I thought lets do some open hatches ect :idea: , and low and behold thats what stood out like a sore thumb.
Not one to be seen on the kit :shock: At 1/200 scale thats a big miss unless Missouris crew could walk through steel plate :!:

Just as well I have a good scale drawing of her with them marked on!!

Sould be fun sorting it out

Regards

Rob

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Copiague, Long Island, New York
I guess that might be some of the corrections they need to make when they re-issue this kit, huh? :lol:

Sort of makes you wonder what plans they were working from, doesn't it?

Did I hear something about Arizona updates? More photos?? :wink:

Jim

jrts

Mar 12, 2004
St Helehs, England
Hi Scorpio

See we do take notice of the tips in your build threads :lol:

Thanks for the kind words coming form the master its praise indeed.

I think this kit can only be used by a builder who loves to kit bash as nothing other than the shape and size of the decks and bulk heads are right!!
Its given me the chance to put in to practise a lot of the tips from the how to threads, keep them coming :roll:

Oh well back to the fun

Regards

Rob

Ajax

Apr 20, 2004
Missouri is looking good, Rob - even porthole detailing! It's amazing to read how you've dealt with the flaws in this kit. :D

AJ