USS Essex

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by jaeike, Jan 27, 2009.

1. jaeike

jaeike Member

Thought I'd share one of my latest builds. It started out as the free model designed by Diego Cortes. I reinforced the primary hull and other structures with resin and did a little shaping to smooth out the seams. I added some extra dimension on the secondary hull, warp nacelles, and neck also added spikes from the 1/1000 Polar Lights Enterprise kit. I also tweaked the graphics a little including sort of a transitional Starfleet insignia.

2. davitch

davitch Member

Nicely done! Love the weathering
  3. Ronson2k3

Ronson2k3 Member

Very nice.. Great work
  4. Claudio

Claudio Member

Exceptional! My compliments! I wouldn't have said it is paper. I like also the image composition.:thumb:

One question about the weathering: in a deep space, without oxygen, water and powder, is there a real "dirt" on a spaceship surface? Or it is only a time effect (but we don't have oxidation)?:confused:

Sorry for my silly question, but it came suddenly to me...

P.S. The Dictionary makes me crazy. Why oxidation with "i" and oxygen with "y" ?:eek:
  5. dhanners

dhanners Member

Yes, an excellent build and thanks for sharing the photos. I'd love to know what techniques you used (if any) to get the sphere looking as good as it does....
  6. ohgodwhy

ohgodwhy Member

I suppose " Dirt " could build up on a starship hull from micrometeor hits, passing through dust clouds and nebulae, etc.,but I'm just guessing...
  7. Paragon

Paragon Active Member

WOW, that is a great looking model. How did you get the primary hull and bussard collectors to look so good?
  8. trekman1017

trekman1017 Member

is nice, i like
  9. jaeike

jaeike Member

Thanks all for the complements. For the sphere I used a technique I've been experimenting with that involves a two part resin. I build up about half of the sphere and then mix up the resin. When it starts to set up, I pour it in. While wearing gloves, I push the tacky solution around the edges. It gets pretty messy, especially if there are any gaps. The resin sets in about a half hour and I finish the sphere. Once built I mix more resin and pour it in, this time moving it around, kinda like a roto-cast process. I do this a couple more times to build up a sufficient thickness of resin. Once fully cured I do the necessary sanding and shaping. I did the same technique on the end of the nacelles as well. With all of the sanding I had to do, there was no other option but to paint it. That meant that all the printed detail would go. However, the fact that this is a paper model lends itself to making a decal sheet without too much fuss. I took advantage of the situation to enhance the graphics a little bit. I changed out the fonts to resemble more of the original series. And since this ship was supposed to be somewhere between Enterprise and the original series, I created a conjectural transitional Starfleet design.

Overall the technique really blurs the line between card and plastic modeling. I find myself merging the two more often in my recent builds. For an example I used mostly card and other fiber based materials on the damaged areas of this USS Constellation build I did a while ago:

10. nice work really good they look more like resin kits than paper really cool weapon damage on them to
  11. jaeike

jaeike Member

Only the Essex is paper. The Constellation is the Polar Lights plastic kit. I used a lot of card and other stuff for the damaged areas. I just posted that one to illustrate the blurring lines of card and plastic modeling. :mrgreen:
  12. Millenniumfalsehood

Millenniumfalsehood Active Member

Is the grid on the upper saucer of the Constellation scribed or a decal? I ask because, for all intents and purposes, it's *perfect*. :thumb:

Great job on the Essex, too. I like the Daedalus-class design a lot, and you really did her justice! :thumb:
  13. jaeike

jaeike Member

It's scribed. I usually draw the grids on with a pencil on these kits. Thought I'd try something different. It's a royal pain in the butt and most-likely won't be doing it like that again.

Thanks again on the complements on the Essex. One thing I didn't get around to doing is to add more detail on the nacelles. Pretty much every designer and garage kit producer seems to miss the fact that model maker Greg Jein used the Space Shuttle's SRBs as the base for them. There aren't many real good photos of the model he built, but if you look closely it's pretty obvious.
  14. trekman1017

trekman1017 Member

a doomsday machine at 1/1000 sczle would be 8.86 feet long!