USS Enterprise CVN 65 1/300

Discussion in 'Ship & Watercraft Models' started by barry, Dec 31, 2009.

1. gtb -red

gtb -red Member

full hulls always kick my butt. great work Barry!:mrgreen::thumb:
  2. Elliott

Elliott Senior Member

Beautiful work Barry. The quality of your work is something I hope to be able to achieve someday. Thanks for sharing your builds.
  3. barry

barry Active Member

Bridge structure

Thanks Elliot and gtb

Basically a big square box with a lot of bits added and chopped out it is lacking the main radar arrays while I figure out how to tackle them. The decks still need edging as well.

Attached Files:

4. Gregory Shoda

Gregory Shoda Member

The bridgework is fascinating. Figuring out the various shapes involved must have been quite a project. This is an intriguing subject because of all the many details involved. I truly admire your inginuity and resourcefulness.

One question: There are vast expanses of grey cardboard--are they printed on your printer, painted, or are they grey cardboard?

Best regards,

5. barry

barry Active Member

Hi Greg

Thanks comments are appreciated.

I should use grey card but I have never found the right shade and quality but luckily does pretty cheap HP ink

6. mick80

mick80 New Member

Oh wow!!! Very impressive, congratulations!!!!!!!!
  7. barry

barry Active Member

Thank you Mick
  8. ghostflight

ghostflight New Member

Your builds are always an inspiration Barry. I'm going to have to practice harder to get that type of quality. Thanks for sharing.
  9. barry

barry Active Member

Hawkeye design

Thanks Ghost

Still needs a lot of work to unfold but at a small scale it should look about right

Attached Files:

10. barry

barry Active Member

Hawkeye design

Thanks Ghost

Still needs a lot of work to unfold but at a small scale it should look about right
  11. barry

barry Active Member

lost the picture

I suppose I should have added this

Attached Files:

12. va6rly

va6rly New Member

Very nice work.
  13. Chameleon

Chameleon New Member

I just wanted to throw this in here; the model looks great! I do have some pics of the Big E I took in 2007. My father is a plankowner for CVA/N-65, So I've had the chance to go out on her. The pics I have are too big to post, but send me a message if you want me to email them.
  14. barry

barry Active Member

Thanks for dropping by not much done at the moment finishing HMS Starling and I have been on holiday.
  15. barry

barry Active Member

Fligt deck

I spent a long time lining up as best I could the deck markings. Angled flight decks I found are much more difficult than straight decks, not so much chance for a bit of cheating. I have a pile of rejects to prove that.

I should have put more strengthening pieces under the deck but it is stable enough. To get a smooth run it was easier to assemble the whole of the deck as one piece. Although it makes a difficult gluing job the piece is heavy enough to stay flat under it's own weight so some spot gluing along the edges should suffice. I am still half heartedly playing with having a lowered forward elevator but I think it will be prone to getting damaged. After gluing the next job will be turn the hull upside down and build the elevators in situ saves a lot of hard work trying to make them fit after building.

Attached Files:

16. Gloups

Gloups New Member

Wow, very impressive work :eek:
  17. barry

barry Active Member

Hawkeye test build

Thanks Gloups

The Hawkeye is built using 140gsm card throughout it went together pretty well and at this scale looks like a Hawkeye. I will try to improve the landing gear it's out of position and construct a better nose cone. It will be tail heavy so it will have to be glued in place.

Attached Files:

18. xrysaetos

xrysaetos New Member

Barry, how come you are not usig some of the freebie aircrafts in the net and just downscale them to fit?