USS Enterprise CVN 65 1/300

Discussion in 'Ship & Watercraft Models' started by barry, Dec 31, 2009.

1. barry

barry Active Member

I felt like doing another Aircraft Carrier be warned this thread could collapse under the weight of the decks (not fitting). Period will be 1989 with the square superstructure.

The last picture is the basic hull structure.

Attached Files:

2. papastumpy

papastumpy Member

Got me water at the mouth over this one barry. Looking forward to more of this design. Like your choice of box structure time period.:wave:Rick
  3. sjsquirrel

sjsquirrel Member

Looking forward to this one Barry. A carrier is nearing the top of my (ever expanding) list and your last one was my first choice. Now the decision will be tougher.

4. barry

barry Active Member

Thanks fellas don't get around everything at the moment.

Well it's a start. Already running into a few problems with hangers they will have to be half the width probably but no matter you can't seein that much.
    The fit is pretty good so far I might have to add a mm here and there, well rub a line out anyway. Trouble with inexpensive printers they creep a bit quite often I actually build in bits to compensate.

Hull top is not glued down too late at night !

Cantilever walkway and flight deck still to go and eventually it will 2.5 times this length somewhere near 46 ".

Attached Files:

5. Teamski

Teamski Member

This oughta be good, as usual!!

6. barry

barry Active Member

Off the board

Thanks ski

At last the first upper deck is on. The aft portion is not glued down might have to adjust the stern overhang a little. Hull sides come up to this level then the catwalk deck edges will be glued directly to it. Then the flight deck above that. Deck top seems to be pretty level I used clothes pegs to hold the joining strips firmly.

In a lot of ways I would like to stop at the waterline but the keel does stop the banana effect pretty well and my wife prefers full keel models.

Pics are poor but she is a bit big to fit into one shot.

Attached Files:

7. barry

barry Active Member

New bow design

Carriers do not have straight lines in the bow so here is a more true to life attempt

Attached Files:

8. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

Still looks good to me!
  9. barry

barry Active Member

Thanks Ekuth

Not my favourite part of a carrier it is actually a mess the deck is about a 1/32 to small which has thrown the starboard side at an angle to the deck which is off vertical. I should also have put another former under the bow where the vetical strip cuts in. Still it will be covered up when the catwalk deck goes on.

Did some damage to the stern have to rip it off and replace when I get the hullsides down that end just a bit big for me these days.

Attached Files:

10. papastumpy

papastumpy Member

Most impressive Barry, I do not know of many who caould pull this off as good as you are doing from scratch. Look forward to more.:wave:Rick
  11. barry

barry Active Member

Thanks Rick

A bit more progress with the hull.

Attached Files:

12. SEBRET

SEBRET Member

Looks Great!

How deep is the first Hanger?
  13. barry

barry Active Member

Up to centre line thanks for looking
  14. gtb -red

gtb -red Member

nice Barry as always.
  15. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

How the hell did they keep water from sloshing in? :confused:
  16. barry

barry Active Member

final gantry deck

Thanks gtb after this one I think I will leave the modern big carriers to you too many bits for comfort in the decks but we shall see.

Ekuth water tight doors mate and it would be a big wave getting that high.

This is the actual card deck if I ever release this one I will need to do some overlays to check the decks line up. It's not out by much but it's annoying.

Attached Files:

17. barry

barry Active Member

Main port sponsons i place

Added the mainport sponsons very simple structure but long enough to cause a few hard moments.

Attached Files:

18. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Active Member

DUDE! After a few years in the navy something just seems unnatural here! :)

Seriously though that hull has excellent shape and look forward to watching more unfold!
  19. papastumpy

papastumpy Member

barry, looking good my friend, seems that you have got the hull and decking right for this Big E monster. Look forward to more. Rick:wave:
  20. barry

barry Active Member

Thank you chaps

Only requires two small platforms for the lower hull. Next the crossbeams for the flight deck.

Attached Files: