USS Atlantis

Bhelliom

Jun 20, 2009
Parma Center NY
Just a quick build I threw together as a break from the Fitzgerald. The USS Atlantis, originally an Estes flying model rocket kit. It's built "straight out of the box", from plans I believe I originally got from JimZ Rocket Plans site.

Sometime I on redoing it, with proper nacelle domes and end pieces, as well as a nose that's not just quickly rolled from scrap paper. Always wanted one of these back when, now I've finally got one!

There's also a new, refit version out there now that I'd like to build as well. Someday, maybe.

Scott K.

Attachments

• At2.jpg
    At2.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 129
  • At3.jpg
    At3.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 128
  • At4.jpg
    At4.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 11
  • At5.jpg
    At5.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 128
  • At6.jpg
    At6.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 12
  • At7.jpg
    At7.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 128

micahrogers

Moderator "Where am I, and how did I get here?"
Staff member
Jul 12, 2012
Shannon GA
I built that OOB about 20 years ago, now I have nowhere to fly rockets

DanBKing

Dan the Man
Feb 29, 2012
Netherlands
It could almost be used as a crossbow type rifle too...!! :)

But, assuming you would put the rockets in the nacelles, then the pylons would have to be well strong to survive the G-forces.....
I can imagine the main body shell, watching in shocked awe, as the two nacelles dissappear skywards........:mrgreen:

micahrogers

Moderator "Where am I, and how did I get here?"
Staff member
Jul 12, 2012
Shannon GA
If I remember correctly the rocket motor went in the main body tube. The Estes SR-71 rocket used the same set up.

Bhelliom

Jun 20, 2009
Parma Center NY
In case anyone else would like to build one, I went looking for the site I got the patterns from. I was wrong, this version wasn't from JimZ (although you can find info on the original here; http://www.spacemodeling.org/jimz/est1283.htm). This one came from this page; http://rocketry.wordpress.com/ultimate-paper-rocket-guide/paper-rocket-partial-builds/, with several others as well.

@micah, would you believe I've never flown a powered rocket in my life? Just one of those things I never got to do. Right now, I have several kits, as well as a bundle of small motors, but like you, have nowhere to fly at the moment either.

Scott K.

Vince

Jul 26, 2011
Indiana, USA
Is this supposed to be a Star Trek model? Styled a lot like ST, but I never saw a ship with an "SCC" designation. Or is this a non ST design?

Bhelliom

Jun 20, 2009
Parma Center NY
Is this supposed to be a Star Trek model? Styled a lot like ST, but I never saw a ship with an "SCC" designation. Or is this a non ST design?
Estes had the Star Trek license when they made this one, and used modified Enterprise decals for it. So, in a word, yes. Just another way to boost sales. It must have worked, because I know I wanted all 3! (Big E, Klingon, and Atlantis).

Scott K.