USRA 2-10-2's and CPR 2-10-2's

Discussion in 'HO Scale Model Trains' started by ekiqa, Apr 23, 2006.

1. ekiqa

ekiqa New Member

I'm currently away from home, and thus from my sources.

I'm wondering at how similar the Bachmann USRA 2-10-2 is to the CPR's 2-10-2's?

I know the drawings for the CPR S2a have been published by OSHOME, and reprinted by CRM in 2002/2003, but I have no access to those, nor to the Locomotive Cyclopedia Vol. I, which has the USRA 2-10-2's.

Does anyone here have both, and willing to check the the similarities for me?

2. davidmbedard

davidmbedard Member

They will be QUITE different.....But put a Vestibule cab on a USRA Loco and youve got something that is very Canadian.

3. doctorwayne

doctorwayne Active Member

I'm not familiar at all with the CPR's 2-10-2s, but the Bachmann USRA 2-10-2 can be turned into a CNR T-3-a, as the prototypes were built from USRA locos acquired from the Boston & Albany. The most noticeable changes were the addition of an Elesco fwh system and the change to a vestibule cab. I am currently converting an old Akane brass USRA 2-10-2 into a CNR loco, although my conversion will also cover many of the more subtle modifications. The proper cab is available from PSC, in either brass or styrene, and Elesco fwhs are available from several manufacturers. When my project is finished, I hope to post a series of photos covering the conversion, although this may be some time from now.

4. Don7

Don7 Member

A CPR Santa Fe at Field BC

Used mainly but not only as helper engines

Lots of pics at archive, lasted right to the end of steam.
  5. doctorwayne

doctorwayne Active Member

Here's a LINK to the rebuild on the CNR loco of which I spoke earlier. The brass model with which I started is close to the Bachmann loco, although not as well detailed. From the look of that loco in the link, an easy facsimile could be had by adding an all-weather cab and some running board skirting, and a more detailed conversion would involve a new pilot, headlight, stack and domes, and maybe some modifications to the tender.

6. Squidbait

Squidbait Recovering ALCO-holic

I think it would be a very good starting point. The wheelbase, driver diameter, pilot and pony truck wheel diameters are all very close.

I think if you added a Miniatures by Eric cab, remove the rear sand dome and relocate the steam and other sand domes, you'd have a pretty good match.
  7. Triplex

Triplex Active Member

If you're modelling the 50s, these were often used as heavy yard switchers.
  8. Don7

Don7 Member

A couple of more, mainline

passenger service

Water fill up, note CPR octogan enclosed tank

note small tender used in this photo