Using the gallery to put images in threads

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by cgutzmer, Mar 26, 2007.

1. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Put your pic in the gallery (please note,I host my own images on my own website - I used the gallery just for this tutorial)

Click on the pic resolution you would like to display (please at or lower than 800X600)

There are several options under the picture, one is BB Image Code:
    Copy that url

Open the thread where you want to show the image and paste in that url

that is about it.

@carl it wont help your post count,its just a viable alternative to imageshack and whatnot.
  2. rickstef

rickstef Guest

actually posting images does help you post count
  3. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

So does replying. =X
  4. barry

barry Active Member

I find it very difficult to find peoples galleries not a gripe just a comment if they were sorted it would be easiier I think.
  5. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Yes it would help if the images are posted in separate posts everytime but thats not something you should have to do, you can really post as many images as you want in any one post cant you?

@barry - yeah alpha would be nice with the icon still hilited. I gotta do an edit find on this page to find my own gallery most of the time
  6. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Thank you for the instructions Chris.:wink:
    I was not even aware that we could do this.
    I learned something new today!8)

7. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

It would be nice to consolidate several pics that form one stage into one post rather than having to make one post per pic. That's what Carl is referring to as to helping post count - he's really saying he'd like to LOWER it.

I have 2 concerns, of a forum ettiquette nature. 1) Since the Gallery makes more than one resolution of each picture, wouldn't this method actually increase the storage space required over attaching them inline while posting? And 2) I wonder if many people use the What's New Images feaure to look at new pics in the Gallery? If so, I can imagine if we all started posting all our build thread pics in there it would clutter things up for those folks really just looking for new pics of finished projects.

8. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Rick, good points all. I too would rather see a few pics per post than 20 individual posts.

As for the feedback on forum etiquette;

1) Yes, but there is plenty of room, no worries here.

2)Maybe. We will have new software in a couple of months. Maybe we should investigate this then, when we see what we have to deal with.

Just my opinions.

9. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

There is a whats new images feature? Cool, gonna have to look for that!

I figured that's what Carl meant, it just could have been taken either way. Given that he already posts his pics as images in his posts I didn't see how this would affect it either way.

As far as storage space goes that would require input from an admin. I have no idea how much space we have. I am willing to bet the reserves takes more space than any 4 peoples galleries combines and they haven't mentioned anything about my space usage ;)

As far as etiquette goes if they are going to provide a valid link for bulletin board posting, I would imagine they want us to use it..... this also keeps people that don't have their own websites from being at the mercy of a third party.....
  10. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Well, I was going to try this out and have run smack into a showstopper. What I want to do is create a sub-category for each thread under my existing one, less clutter and all that. I'm assuming that this is done via a choice under Category Tools. Trouble is, I can't access it. In fact, NONE of the links with the little pull down indicator beside them will work for me while I'm inside my gallery page. The ones that exist on the Gallery Home page do work. This is not the first time I've experienced these problems, I've seen the same thing while looking at forum threads. Can anyone else confirm this? Admins know what's going on?

11. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

I have the same problem with some of the main links at the top when I am on pages other than the main home page. I too cannot get the links mentioned to work when in my category in the gallery. I am not too surprised though. I have built a few forums and the galleries have been less than integrated or working how I hoped..... maybe in the next upgrade.
  12. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Here is how to create sub categories:
    in your gallery choose my stuff then category admin
    click the add category button at the bottom of the window
    under parent category choose your current gallery

after you do this a sub category will be available on your main gallery window.

Hope that helps!
  13. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Hooray for Chris!. Yes, that works fine - I obviously did not explore far enough.

14. milenio3

milenio3 Active Member

The What's New on the gallery is one of the features I use the most. I love to see what's not on the threads too.

And many features are still hidden for the forum. Look that more people are posting their pics now that "Who are we" is again in the spotlight - have to upload mine too! -.
  15. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

No prob, at least I was able to do some good!
  16. Triop

Triop Member

Photobucket does the trick for me...

I'd like to see more links to gallery's though...:roll:
  17. Nando

Nando Designer Extraordinaire

I cannot post a picture in the Gallery

I tried to post a picture in the Gallery but I can't add a new Category (I clicked on the "Category Tools" but nothing happened). I have an error (row 1522, character 4, "null" isn't a object, code 0, URL visualizing the page of a category like "Member's Categories" where i'd like to add my personal category.

When i tried to upload a picture (attached), the image is empty!

Can You help me?

Thanks Nando