Using hot glue gun

fernandico

Hi Im just starting with this hobby and mostly Im doing spaceships or starship and I have done for my first ship's uss grissom, uss thunderchild, and currently working on the uss pasteur all of them from star trek and thank's for every one who shares there files, well anyway one of the things that I have been reading in the forums is that papercraft models are delicate and sometimes people put wires in them so they can stand and be a little bit stronger, so I when't on a deferent way I started to fill the interior of the model with silicon using my hot glue gun, what has been my experiance is that the model becomes heavy and very rigid and most important hard as a rock, the thing can survive hard hits, my question is has anybody tried this?

thank you guys and also thank you for sharing your work

johanvanacker

I started papermodelling with a hot glue gun, because I saw it on a youtube-movie. Quickly I discovered that it wasn't the easiest way to glue the parts together and I abandoned that method. Now, I only use the hot glue gun for gluing internal stiffners or parts that are not visible in the completed model and that require a strong bond.
Using the hot glue to completely fill up a model seems a rather lengthy and expensive excercise ?

DanBKing

Dan the Man
I have successfully used expanding foam to strengthen models.
You have to be REALLY CAREFUL that you do not overfill the part and blow the model to pieces due to the pressure......

Rogerio Silva

The only time I tried it and made it work, it was when I glued Julius Perdana's Iron Man legs to its body. I never tried to reinforce a model with hot glue, though. Could you pease post some pics of tyour method? Will it work on delicate, intrincated models?